Friday, July 17, 2009

The Grocery Game
*Click on title to be directed to the Grocery Games website*

A couple weeks ago I signed up for a free 4 week trial of the Grocery Game.
I learned about the GG from another mom's blog.
I don't know about you...but I am tired of paying high prices for groceries, all to end up with nothing by the end of the week. The GG teaches you to stockpile and then buy what is on sale at local stores plus using coupons to hit all the best deals at the right time. Each week you print a list of the local sales and the GG will show you how to get the best buys. They even show you how to get items for free! It does take work on your part if you want to have the best savings and you will need to get the Sunday paper for the coupons. The only draw back in the town where I live is that none of the grocery stores do double coupons and there isn't many stores to shop at. Last week and this week I spent a big chunk of my morning clipping coupons, figuring out sales and then planning our weekly menu and grocery list accordingly. But....when I went shopping I saved around 100 dollars (last week) and this week I saved 120 dollars. Both weeks I came home with SO MUCH MORE than I usually do. We ate well last week, didn't run out of food...in fact, we didn't even use it all up!

Another website that has been a real teaching tool for me this week is:
Money Saving Mom
*click on title to be directed*

This website is in blog form and is put out by a young christian mom who loves teaching others how to save money. She & her husband and 3 children only spend $40 a week on groceries (including household goods!). She posts her menu plans too and they eat healthy! I am inspired that a family of 5 can survive on so little. This mom teaches you how to stockpile, menu plan on what you have along with local sales, she posts great coupon deals and unadvertised sales and how to best take advantage of them. She also shows you how to create a budget and has a TON of other encouraging articles on how to save your family money and live abundantly.
My ultimate spending goal for my family is to start spending only $70 a week on groceries (including household goods), not counting the $32 we spend each month for fresh goats milk. But even at that....that is only $312 a month. Currently we have been spending around $700. That is a $388 a month savings! In one year alone that is a savings of $4,656!!!!!
For now I am setting the weekly grocery budget at $100-$150 until I get the hang of all this and we start somewhat of a stockpile. Even on the grocery game she talks about how it takes around 12 weeks to start getting the most savings and to get a stockpile built up. I am excited to start saving our family money!

I have to share what I bought (saved) on one of my shopping trips last week:
This was from Safeway:
  • Sweet Baby Ray BBQ Sauce
  • 3 jars baby food
  • can of olives
  • 1 box pop secret popcorn
  • stove top stuffing mix
  • sliced cheese
  • 2 gallons milk
  • 2 packs Oscar Meyer turkey hot dogs
  • 4 1/2 pound chuck roast
  • 6 pounds ground beef
  • green leaf lettuce
  • broccoli
  • 5 pound bag potatoes
All this for only $32 dollars, and I saved $34!!!
~
This week my best savings deal was:
This also from Safeway

The store had General Mills cereals on sale for 3 for $6
I used a .75 cent off coupon on my box of Total
and a .55 cent off coupon on 2 boxes of cheerios (each cheerio box also has a $1.50off Pampers coupon on the box)
Then I used a $1.00 off 3 boxes of GM cereals coupon
Those combined with the store sale, made all 3 boxes of cereal only
$3.70.
Then... When I checked out they gave me a coupon for a free jug of milk for buying 3 general mills cereals! :-)
Can't beat that...what a deal!


How do you save your family money? I would love to hear about it. Plus, any tips you would like to share with me would be most appreciated.

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...