Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fluff TalkThursdays #1


Why Cloth?
For me it honestly was a matter of saving my family money. We were spending approximately $40.00 a month on disposable diapers. Both my older children took 3 1/2 years to potty train. If you do the math, that is $1,680.00 for one child! Now add 2 children into the equation and that is $3,360.00!!! That is a lot of money we threw into the trash.

If you read my Haute Pockets Diaper review, you learned a little about my history with cloth diapers. I was not a fan. I did not know pocket diapers even existed! My only memory of cloth diapers was seeing babies in noisy plastic pants, prefold diapers pinned to them with sharp diaper pins, and the unsanitary diaper pail full of disgusting water. And let's not forget the lovely swishing of the pre-folds in the toilet. Yuck!!!

I have a very weak stomach. The idea of using cloth diapers instead of dispoable ones that I could throw in the trash made my decision not to use cloth a simple one.

As I use to say, women who used cloth diapers on their babies are a bit, well, looney. Why put yourself through that torture? I didn't understand it.

Little did I know that cloth diapers evolved over the years. A friend of mine from church had a pocket diaper on her daughter and I asked her a few questions about them. They seemed interesting, but I wasn't convinced.

One night while doing the bills and seeing all our money go bye-bye, I started to think about ways to shave our budget down. And what do you know, cloth diapers popped into my head! I timidly approached my husband with the idea. The look on his face was enough for me to think I was a little nuts for even mentioning the idea.

Then I told him how much we would save in the long run...

Then he hesitated...

Then he said "Maybe we should try it?"

I then started my research. I definitely wanted to try out the pocket diapers first. They seemed the easiest to use and I wanted my experience to be as simple as possible. I found some great clearance deals on Haute Pockets and Happy Heineys. Then bought a few Bum Genius, a new kitchen trash can for a pail and a Whamies pail liner. My startup set was now complete!

I had so much fun picking out my sons diapers! There are so many fun colors and patterns out there. When they arrived, I was like a child on Christmas. My 2 older children got excited as well and had fun looking over all the diapers. I washed them and started right away.

I was amazed at how easy this was! My son looked adorable in his new fluffies. The cloth diapers leaked no more than his disposables and best of all, no more diaper rash! I was thrilled that using cloth actually cured his rash problems. I wish I knew about these diapers when my oldest son was a baby. He had HORRIBLE rashes that would bleed! We used Pampers diapers and still had to put Desitin on him daily.

Here I am 13 months later and I am so thankful I swallowed my pride and went the cloth diaper route. My diaper rash creams have sat unused all this time, my baby boy looks cuter than ever and our budget isn't suffering. I feel so blessed to be a cloth diapering mama!



Here is my son , Mr. Z (that's one of his nicknames). So happy to be a fluff baby!
By the way- He is wearing the same diaper in both pictures.
He is 10 months older in the picture of him on the couch.
Don't you just love one size diapers???
They rock!!!

Photobucket

Next Week: Show your Stash! Take a creative picture showing off your diaper stash. Don't forget to leave the link to your post so that we can all visit and see.

Instructions for Fluff Talk Thursdays, click here.

Pin It!

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm in!!! Linked up & all...I hope lots of people play along!

Jackie at 3littleones said...

Your litte one is adorable in cloth!!!!

MaryAnne said...

Those pictures of your son are adorable - one-size diapers are the best!

momof3munchkins said...

Cute pics of your little guy in his diapers!

Trish and Rob said...

I just ordered a 3 pack from smartipants! I can't wait to try them!
:)

Annie said...

How cute! I love your blog - thanks for doing the McLinky!

I love fluffy mail too - what fun!!

BrassyMom said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying cloth diapers! We use primarily flats and prefolds with covers on our little one, and it's great. My husband was hesitant at first, but agreed because of the money aspect. As a teen, he diapered his much-younger little brother in cloth with pins and rubber pants, so he didn't believe me at first when I told him it was different these days. Now he's totally on board.

We still have to use Desitin a lot, my little one has bad eczema (just like mom) and if we put her in a disposable for just ONE diaper change, her little bum is a thousand times more irritated! It's just awful and painful for her - there's no way she'd ever be able to be in 'sposies full time.

(I hope this doesn't cross anybody's TMI line, but there's another clothy way to save money... Mama pads! I got some for postpartum and figured they paid for themselves by the time I was recovered, and they are AWESOME. Don't let baby be the only one with a pampered heiny! You can even throw them in the wash with diapers - SO, so easy!)

Ally said...

Coming from MaryAnne's blog. =)

So fun to hear about another mom's cloth diaper journey! I started using them to save money too but also to keep nasty chemicals away from my son's bum.

Annie said...

To answer your question on my blog - I'll put my fav WAHM dipes on my blog next week as I show pics of my stash! I have tried quite a few and found a few I really love!

Julie said...

That is so funny. My husband acted the same way, knowing how overwhelmed I was already with day to day life he thought I was nuts to want to do cloth diapers too but after the $ talk he was on board 100%.

Great blog post, I really enjoyed it. :)

Chari said...

OK, everyone will get a good laugh at my post!

Chic Mama said...

So fun to hear why other mamas CD! I will have to join up one of these weeks!

Momto3LittleFlowers said...

I entered! :) Late, but did it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...