Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday #2

My greatest suggestion for homeschool is to have a designated area to do your schooling. I know a lot of people like to homeschool at the kitchen table, but that doesn't work for me. I am very much a perfectionist and have to have things "just so" for me to function properly. Don't get me wrong, I am not a neat freak by any means...but a plain old perfectionist that has to have things a certain way. I knew when I started homeschooling my children that I would NEED a spot to have everything always set up. My husband & I decided that first year to have our son (then age 7) to share a room with his sister and we would make his room into a schoolroom.

At the time we were in the process of making our 1 car garage into a family room. When that was completed, we would do school in there. It ended up taking much longer than expected. We ended up using my sons bedroom as our school room for 1 1/2 years. I must say, I got SPOILED! I loved it. We had space for everything I wanted to hang on the walls. We could leave stuff out that we were working on without feeling like we were messing up the entire house. It was nice. But now that our family room is complete, I have one side of half the room for my school area. It still works out great and I have managed to organize it to the best of my ability and try to make it cute and schoolish (I know, that is not a word..I made it up). I bought my children real school desks and chairs so that they are not fighting at the same table. (The desks & chairs adjust in height as they grow bigger too). We have a big bookshelf to hold all their curriculum and my teacher stuff. It works!

I want to encourage any of you that feel you don't have the room to set up school, that this can be done! I have made the tiny area cheerful and fun for the children and it has made homeschooling feel more "real" for us. I want my children to know that just because they get to do school at home doesn't mean it is not to be taken seriously. I believe setting up an area really helps with that.
Here are some pictures of our school area:

This is it! Not very big, but works great!

Another view

My oldest son
(age 8 at the time)
On his first day of second grade.
Sept. 2008
This was in our old school room and back when we used
a table for their desk area.


My daughter
(age 6 at the time)
First day of 1st grade
Sept.2008



To see other school suggestions visit "We Are That Family" blog and see all the other WFMW post links.
http://www.wearethatfamily.com/2009/08/wfmw-back-to-school-themed-edition.html
Pin It!

12 comments:

irina said...

Very nice photos!!

Happy WW!

Stephanie said...

This is a great post. I love to see how homeschool families work out all the logistics of school at home. Looks like you've done a great job. Happy Schooling!

Rona's Home Page said...

We have several separate office spaces so we gave one to our son. He's able to keep his supplies, homework, etc in there.
Great tip!

Amanda said...

I love it! Pictures are worth a 1000 words, aren't they? Where did you find the desks?

Just a tip, if you put < p > (but withough spaces) between your posts (either in "compose" or in "html" modes), it will put a line between your paragraphs. Not trying to be fussy, it just helps readers if there is a defined break. Love the background and header.

Jennifer said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing all this great information! My daughter starts kindergarten at public school on Monday and I a bit hesistant and very open to the idea of homeschooling. It is nice to see how others do it:)

Good luck with your blog re: reviews and giveaways! You are off to a great start!

Michelle said...

OH my goodness. PLEASE come to my house and help me fix my school room. Yours is fantastic! I LOVE IT.

I have a dedicated room, but it gets so junked up that I can't work in there. Besides, the couch is really comfortable.

I'm about to rearrange things...so come on over. It shouldnt be too far to drive. i live in OK.

Christina said...

Ha, ha...was that picture taken BEFORE the school year started...oh wait. I already know the answer to that. :) It looks great!

Jennifer said...

I like your one-room schoolhouse! I don't homeschool, but if I did, I would want something like this.

Andrea said...

Great space. I'm trying to glean all the ideas I can get!

HappilyDomestic said...

Jennifer~ If you ever do decide to homeschool your daughter and need any advice, don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help. We had our oldest son at a Christian school for Kindergarten and I was appalled at what was allowed to go on there. It didn't take much convincing after that to homeschool. It is hard work but I know there will be fruit because of it. :-)

HappilyDomestic said...

Michelle~
LOL...I would love to come help you organize your school room...but I don't live near OK. One of my best friends lives in Tulsa and I never get to see her either.

Mine isn't this nice MOST of the time...but I wasn't going to post a messy picture. Maybe I should have though to keep things real. :-)

HappilyDomestic said...

Amanda~
I got my school desks from a company online called Argonaut, but I can't recommend them.

My desks & chairs were shipped without padding and the chairs got all scuffed up and one was missing a glide (so now the chair is wobbly). The company did refund my money for the chairs. They also promised to replace the glide but never did. :-(

There is all kinds of school furniture stores online though and all kinds of desks to choose from. I chose mine to match our new family room. I am a "match" fanatic. Haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...