Tuesday, October 6, 2009


Lord Help me to Build a Healthy child
By: Audrey Jeanne Roberts

For it is easier to build a child
than to repair an adult.
Help me praise more than criticize,
encourage more than nag,
discipline, not punish,
and model good behavior rather
than simply demand it.

Help me break the habit of
automatically saying "no",
when I could just
as easily say "yes".


And to remember a hug given
before it's asked for
is ten times more valuable!

Help me ask myself
"Will this matter in twenty years?"
then enable me to let go
of those things that won't
so I can have the energy for
those that will.

Help me earn their respect as
I lead a life consistent with
the principles I value.
Lord, give me the courage
to teach them
right from wrong

and help them discover their
own special destinies.

Help me to freely
join in their silliness,
share in their laughter,
delight in their joys
and
keep their confidences.

Remind me daily
to draw upon your strength
to heal their wounds and
comfort their sorrows.


Most of all, Lord,
help me really listen for the
hidden thoughts and needs
that often lie behind their requests

and give me the key to their heart
that it may be opened wide
to all life's wonders and possibilities.


Pin It!

3 comments:

Chari said...

What a great poem! Thanks for sharing!

Southern Belle said...

I needed to read that, thanks for sharing!

AMother'sEarth said...

I need this right now too, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...