Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Birth Story

My final pregnancy picture.
39 weeks Nov. 1, 2009


I had my baby shower on October 31st. My lower back was killing me all that day. The pain would not let up for anything. It continued to hurt on the 1st of November and on the 2nd I awoke to some slight bleeding. I should have called my doctor, but it was me and my husband's 11th wedding anniversary that day as well as my husband's 31st birthday. I knew that if I called they would most likely make me have my cesarean early. So, we went about our day. That night we ate dinner at Red Robin with our kids. I was hurting so much it was hard to even walk!

On the morning of the 3rd I woke to even more blood. This time I called the doctor. They told me to go to labor and delivery at the hospital immediately. I was a little panicked by this because I still did not have my back completely packed, my kids bags were not packed at all for the sitters, and my house was NOT CLEAN. I am a major perfectionist and so to leave things undone like that was almost too much.

I grabbed my camera, my kids, and headed for the hospital. My two friends that were going to be watching my kids while I had the baby met me at the front of the hospital. I told them that it was probably nothing and that I would be back down soon.

Ready for my baby!

I go to labor and delivery and they put me in one of the labor rooms, have me get into a gown, and then hook me up to the machine that monitors the baby. Baby was fine, but I was having contractions 3 minutes apart. I really could not feel them as all I felt was lower back pain. About an hour later a doctor finally came in to see how far I had dilated. I was only at a 1 but he said that I was still bleeding. He explained that once you have a "bloody show" that real labor was soon to follow. He said it was not safe for me to labor since I have had 3 previous cesareans. He said that it is very hard on the uterus and puts me at higher risk for uterine rupture. They told me that they would be calling my OB to see what he wanted to do.

The nurse came back a few moments later and said, "You are going to be having your cesarean at 3 today". Mind you it was 12:30pm at this point!!! For some reason I thought she was kidding. I said, "Your pulling my leg right?" But, no it was the real deal! I called my husband at work and told him to get off and go home and get my suitcase and to HURRY UP!

My friend Christina then showed up and wanted to know what was going on and when she should bring my kids back. The nurse overheard us talking and then said, " Are your kids over 12?" I said "NO". She then goes on to say that there is a state mandate rule in effect that there can be no visitors under the age of 12 in the hospital due to the swine flu. I tried to explain how we already all had the swine flu. It did not matter though, my kids could not come see their new brother. I broke down crying and was so very upset! Here I thought I would have my 1 year brought everyday to spend time with me. He has never been away from me for more than 4 hours since he was born! This was all so upsetting. I then told the nurse.. "well, I am at least going to tell them good-bye!" So, I got dressed and walked down to the parking lot to give them all hugs and kisses good-bye. My 1 year old was asleep in his car seat and so I didn't even get to say good-bye to him. I sat there and just cried and cried.

After that I had to get back into my robe and the nurse then started my IV and started to prep me for surgery. Shortly after that my husband arrived. We then got a call from the doctor saying that it would have to be at 4pm as he was running late.

We waited around visited with one of the lactation consultants that goes to our church. Then we met with the anesthesiologist to go over my history and such. At 4pm they came to get us and had my husband go into the recovery area to wait and took me into the operating room. I started to feel very nervous. I had to get up on the table and sit and the room was very cold. I sat there and shivered and finally the nurse brought over a warm blanket. The anesthesiologist then gave me a shot in my back (It hurt so bad) then performed the spinal. I then lay on the table and they strapped me down, put in the catheter and all that fun stuff.

The doctor came in a few moments later and a midwife and they started checking to see if I was numb. There was one area on my tummy that was not going numb. The anesthesiologist thought it was due to nerve damage on my back from my previous scoliosis surgery that I had when I was 13. He told me that he could put me out or give me a medication that would make me very sleepy so I would not feel pain. I opted for the sleepy drug as there was NO WAY I wanted to be knocked out.

They then brought my husband in and he sat by my side holding my hand. The doctor then got started. I started to cry. I wasn't in pain...just scared. My husband said, "Why are you scared?" I said, " BECAUSE I AM GETTING CUT OPEN!!!" lol.

Making his first appearance into the world!

If any of you have ever had a cesarean before you know how disgusting it feels. All the tugging and such. I felt like I was going to get sick. It didn't take long and I heard my baby cry! :-) I started to get real sleepy at that point and was straining my eyes to focus to see my baby being carried over to the warmer. I remember asking, "It is a boy right?" My husband then brought the baby over to me so that I could see him better. He was so different looking then my other babies. He had such a chubby face.

Getting checked out

My big boy!

I was then taken to the recovery area and my husband went with the baby to get weighed and all that. After about 20 minutes or so they brought the baby back in and told me he weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 1/4 inches long! I was so surprised by this because I only gained 16 pounds and I measured the same around as I did with my previous 2 babies and they were tiny. I have never had over a 6 pound baby.

My first time holding my precious baby boy.

Mom, Dad, and Baby "J"

I was then able to nurse little "J" and he latched on right away and nursed so well. It is an amazing feeling to hold your baby in your arms for the first time. All the pain and uncomfortableness is worth it when that moment finally arrives and you see the new life before you.

Isn't he cute?

From that moment on I spent 3 more days at the hospital trying to recover. It was a long 3 days without seeing my children, dealing with all the hospital noise, no sleep, and a very uncomfortable hospital bed. I don't know what hurt worse..my pain from surgery or the back pain I got from that horrible bed!


On Friday the 6th we were finally released to go home. I was ready! My husband and friend Lori had cleaned the house for me and so at least I got to go home to a clean house. :-) It all worked out in the end. It was GREAT to see my kids again and finally let them meet their new brother and just so wonderful to be home with my family again.


This picture is too funny!
Look at the nurses standing in the back with arms crossed.


Baby "E" meeting baby "J".

Big brother "C" holding baby "J" for the first time.

Big sissy "I" holding her new brother

I am so blessed!

Life since then has been challenging. Recovering from a cesarean when you have 4 kids to care for is something else. The worst part is not being able to lift my one year old. I miss holding him and he has been more distant from me since I got home. I think he was mad at me for not being there for a few days. In about 2 weeks I will be able to lift again and life will be much easier.

I did have help for the first couple days after getting home and then have been on my own at home while my husband has been at work. My 9 year old has been a great help to me. I am trying not to over do it and rest as much as I can. For the most part I am feeling good. I hurt on and off but nothing too severe. The baby sleeps well at night and wakes around 2 or 3 am then again at around 6 or 7. He is nursing and gaining well. The only pain we have encountered is his leaky disposable diapers! We have to change his sleeper with almost every diaper change. I am not sure what the deal is but i am about to get him switched to his cloth diapers. I was going to hold off on going back to cloth for a few weeks so that we would not have the extra laundry, but we have the extra laundry anyway with all those peed on sleepers!


Well, that's my birth story. Hard to believe he was born nearly 2 weeks ago. It is going to go by so fast.

Here is some more pictures:

First Bath

What a face!

Proud Papa

Sleeping with dad at hospital

My OB with baby "J"

Baby "E" happy to be a big brother!
Pin It!

23 comments:

momof3munchkins said...

Congratulations! Sorry it didn't work out according to "the plan" but that just makes it more exciting, right? :) He's very cute and it looks like your other kids love him already too. Praying for a speedy and complete recovery for you so you can get back to being a busy mom!

The Jacobsen Family! said...

Congrats! He is so adorable!

Chari said...

Congrats again!
Sorry you had so much trouble! And yes, those hospital beds are awful!!
I love the "What a face" picture! Reminds me of my Ethan!!
The last picture is so sweet :-)

Brassy said...

Grats! If you have any Rump-a-rooz, I found that those worked wonderfully for containing those explosive "my digestive system is still maturing, okay?" newborn poops, and they fit sooner than the other OS diapers (they start at 6 pounds - Baby H was 5#13oz). It's that blessed double gusset that does it! <3

MaryAnne said...

Congratulations again, and I enjoyed reading your birh story. I would have been really upset about the visitation rules too.

Cloth diapers are so definitely the way to go with mewborns - disposables are just no match for blowouts!

Melissa said...

Thanks for posting your birth story! He is so sweet!

Sarah said...

Congrats on your delivery! He is adorable and a little blessing from God. I had a difficult delivery with my first baby and will most likely have a c-section with my baby due next month. I'm not looking forward to not being able to lift my daughter either! I'm not sure what state you are in, but I sure hope my daughter can come visit me in the hospital!!! That would be VERY upsetting! Glad to hear you are doing well! Take care of yourself and rest if that is possible with 4 kids :) Congrats again!

Paige said...

Congrats on your new bundle of joy! You have a beautiful family!

Kris said...

Congratulations!! My third C-section...I was trying to scoot myself into bed just out of surgery and I would have done it too if my bottom hadn't still been numb lol. I could feel my toes and my upper half but my bottom was "nonexistent". I spent every day trying to get out of there to get home to my babies...I know how you feel! I was out on my second day....and that had been too long for me!! Children are such a blessing! Enjoy him!

Christina said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful!

Lil Mouse said...

congrats. Sounds like a smooth delivery, really. It may not seem that way to you.. but.. anyway, I'm glad you are home and doing well.

mom2anutball said...

Congratulations! He is so cute!

The Graves Family said...

you have such a beautiful family!! congrats on the new little one :)

Rose ~ RedNeckWitch ~ said...

What a great story and all the beautiful pictures. Your story is so heart warming and made me a little weepy when you told about going down to the car to say good bye to your kids. I'm so glad you got a perfect baby and congrats!
~ Rose

GroverFamily said...

what a cute baby boy! thanks for sharing your story!

TeamOSM said...

Congrats! I am planning on trying for #2 right after my little one's first birthday, and you are an inspiration because not only do you have a one year old...you have other kids as well!

Congrats on the new baby J, he is so cute! Praying God heals you and holds you and your family close during this time of adjustment.

Sarah J. said...

Thank you for sharing your story! Congratulations on the new addition; he is adorable! I love all the pictures.
My first was breech, so I have another c-section or 2 ahead of me.

Trish and Rob said...

Oh what a beautiful story! I am so glad you are doing well, remember God will provide! And if you need ANYTHING please don't hesitate to call!

Chanda @ The Eco-Cheap Mom said...

I don't know how you keep up with your blog and take care of 4 kids...and look so great!Congratulations!

Annie said...

Gorgeous pics and congrats on the big healthy boy!

Sorry to hear that you had to be away from your 1 year old....so glad to hear it worked out though. And I will be praying for a speedy recovery!

Southern Belle said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story and pictures of you little one. He's just precious!

BTW, when you mentioned that you didn't know which was worse; the backache caused be the hospital bed or recovery from your surgery I was reminded of my own recovery from my c-section with Jack-Jack. I so remember that, it was awful. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Amy said...

What a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations!!

HappilyDomestic said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I feel loved. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...