Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fluff Talk Thursday#12

Types of Cloth Diapers

Written By Guest Writer
Vilate Thacker

from Nifty Nappy

Pre-fold

Contoured Prefold

Contoured Prefold

A pre-fold is a piece of absorbent fabric that has been pre-folded and sewn with a bulk in the middle. You have to do some folding and tucking when you use a pre-fold. You also have to use some type of closure be it pins, a cover, or snappie. People like the pre-fold for the price. A pre-fold can be a little bulky, though it doesn’t bother most.

Fitted

Nifty Nappy

A fitted is a diaper that has been cut and sewn into a diaper shape. There is no folding involved and they usually have elastic to fit better. They usually close using a snap or velcro. They need some sort of cover too. These are the most breathable of the diapers and your baby will have less chances of diaper rashes if you use a fitted, especially if you use a fitted with a wool cover.

All-in-ones (AIO’s)

AIO

AIO

These are like the fitteds except there is a layer of PUL (polyurethane laminate) that is waterproof. This makes it so the diaper doesn’t need a cover. Some people love these, because there is less to deal with. On the other hand they aren’t breathable and if your baby gets rashes this can make them worse or cause them. They also take a long time to dry because the absorbent layer is sewn in.

Pockets

PeachyKeen Pocket

These are like the AIO’s except the absorbent layer isn’t sewn into the diaper. You stuff the pocket with an insert for absorbency. These are nice for drying purposes with the insert separate they dry faster. They have a PUL layer and so don’t need a cover. These are great for on the run diapers. If you go to daycare these are great for others watching them for the ease!

Tie-Nappies

T-shirt Tie Nappy

This is a diaper that ties on your baby. They can be made out of a variety of fabrics from old t-shirts to hemp and bamboo. Usually you want a lay-in insert for more absorbtion. They are not to diffucult to tie on, You can even tie them in the back if you have a child that you think will untie them, or won’t lay still for a diaper change. This diapers need a cover. It is great for affordability though.

Closures

this is just a personal preference.

  • Pins: I hate pins. I was always sticking myself and worried about sticking the baby, but they do let you customize the fit of the diaper. And they are a cheap alternative! You will only have to use these on the pre-folds and some fitteds.
  • Snaps: I love snaps! I bought an industiral snap press when I started making my diapers and I still stick with it. The snaps don’t leave red marks on the babys, and they hold up really well. I have diapers I made 6 years ago that the snaps are still 100%! I love the front snapping diapers too. I started with side snapping, but found the front snapping gave a better fit for a longer spread of sizes. My diapers fit from 7-35 lbs.
  • Velcro: when you use velcro on diapers you don’t want it to be velcro you want it to be aplix or touch tape. The aplix holds up better. You want to make sure that it has a washing flap. This is so that you you can attach the aplix to something while washing or you end up with a bunch of diapers all stuck together making your aplix wear out sooner. I personally don’t like this, I found it to difficult to work with. Plus the kids can take off the diapers easier as they get older. I haven’t ever used these, but lots of people love them. You use these with a pre-fold or a fitted that doesn’t have snaps or aplix.
  • Snappi: this is a glorified rubberband that is t-shapped and folds under and around the diaper to hold it all on. These are used on Prefolds and some fitteds.

Liners

there are some diapers that use liners that are flushable, but I personally think that if you are using diapers you are doing it for one of two reasons,

  1. you want to save money (and purchasing liners isn’t doing that)
  2. you want to be environmentally friendly (I don’t think that flushable diaper liners is the best way to do that, wouldn’t reusable ones make more sense?)

So I think if you want a liner it should be cloth.

Liners have a few purposes. In some diapers they are just a liner that makes diaper clean up easier. For others they are used for absorbency purposes. You can also use them when you have a rash you are dealing with and don’t want to get the cream on the diaper. (creams usually aren’t good for diapers) If your diaper isn’t absorbing enough and you have leaks you may want to add a liner or two to help absorb more.

Covers

I have lots to say about covers, but I will be short and sweet. There are 3 different covers I know of:

  • Plastic pants: These are cheap, but they aren’t breathable, and my kids always had issues with the elastic on their legs. -throw these away! :)
  • PUL covers: These can come with snaps or aplix. and that is just a personal pref. These are the most common cover out there. BUT they again aren’t breathable.
  • Fleece covers: These are easy to make and easy to find. Some people like these because they are breathable. On the down side though you have to wash them every couple diaper changes.
  • Wool covers: These I love. Wool is breathable and soft and warm in the winter and cool in the summer. There are- wraps that snap or aplix. There are- soakers that are like bloomers that pull on. There are- longies that are like pants. Then you can have fun and make shorites or capris, and if you are having a little girl you can have a little skirtie that you put over either a soaker or a longie. For woolies you only have to wash them about once a month, unless they get poo on them. Then you should lanolize them for maxime usage. This isn’t a hard or long process.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your Assignment For Today:

Write about the different types (not brands) of diapers you have used and which you would recommend to others. Don't forget to Grab my Fluff Talk Thursday Banner for your post (can be found at the tail end of my blog) Then come back and link up your post for all to read.

Next Fluff Talk Thursday will be January 7th

Topic is: "Fluffy Christmas"
Was your baby running around in nothing but fluff this holiday season? Did you capture a great picture of that cute little fluffy butt?? Show us your cute fluffy Christmas pictures! (pictures can posed ones you set up as well...mine probably will)

To see the last Fluff Talk Thursday Post click here.
Instructions for Fluff Talk Thursdays, click here.




Pin It!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I really wish I would have read this when I first started a few months ago. Great reference for us newbies!

newmami_rgv said...

Hi Beth and hi Guest Blogger! Great post. I blogged about the different types of prefolds, that's what we mostly use. Happy Holidays!

Southern Belle said...

Sorry Beth I missed Fluff Talk Thursday again. One of these days I will have it all together. I wanted to say I totally agree with you about velcor or aplix. Its nice at first, but than begins not holding as well and in my case (two different diaper makers) the velcro or aplix either came off or split in two. From now on I am only going to purchase snaps. Also when it came to pocket diapers I have found the odor is almost impossible to remove again with two different diaper makers. BTW, snappi's are awesome...they are my first pick when I use pre-folds.

~Christine = )

Rose said...

I linked to a post that I wrote last week that refers to the main types of diapers I am using now that my little one is super active. It doesn't exactly fit the instructions, but kind of does. I hope that's OK!

This is a great post for anyone new to cloth diapering or who has only tried one or two types of diapers. I am going to send the link to my pregnant friends!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...