Monday, December 14, 2009

Update On Baby "J"

We are finally back home. It was "Pyloric Stenosis" as I thought. After telling the pediatrician J's symptoms, he right away thought it was P.S. as well. We then had to take our baby to the hospital for an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed it was Pyloric Stenosis. J's Pylorus muscle (Muscle underneath the stomach that releases food) was very swollen.

His stomach was full of milk and this is why he was vomiting. The milk could not drain and therefore would come back up. We then got checked into the hospital. Baby J got a room in the pediatric wing of the hospital and I stayed with him. They right away got him hooked up to an I.V. on his head (looked awful) and started working on getting him hydrated again. It took quite a while to get a semi-normal wet diaper. They ran some blood tests to see how much his body got thrown off from this and then started working on getting his salt & glucose levels back to normal.

Baby J was in the hospital form Friday around 5p.m. until last night around 8 p.m.
On Friday night they let us know that he would be having surgery the next day. They said that until 8 hours after surgery baby J cold not have anything to eat. This was so hard because not only had he not nursed since 1 p.m. that day, but he had also thrown up every meal since Wednesday (late night). The poor guy was SO very hungry and would cry and want to nurse. I could do nothing about it.

My husband went back home with our other kids Friday night. We found a sitter for them for Saturday and then he came back to the hospital. The doctor said that the surgery would be at 1 p.m. but it actually ended up being around 2:30 p.m. It was very frustrating because he was still so hungry and starting to get very fussy.

The surgery went well. It was 45 minutes long and required him to be put completely under. The doctor made a 1 inch incision on his tummy (above the belly button area). He then cut open the pylorus muscle. After surgery we were taken back to see baby J. He looked so pale, but they assured us that all his vitals were good. After about an hour of being in recovery, he was then moved back to his room.

Saturday night was hard. My husband went back home to be with the kids in the evening and I had to care for the baby by myself through the night. He slept for a good long time but when he woke he was still so hungry. They finally had me give him 1/2 ounce of pedialite at around 11p.m. He did good and kept it down. He cried so hard when the bottle ran out and it was sad. They had his feedings scheduled for every three hours and told me how much to give him. I had to also use the breast pump every 3 hours so that I would not dry up.

The next two feedings baby J threw them up. They said that it was normal for this to happen though. By last night he was up to 1 1/2 ounces breast milk in a bottle and was holding it down and so the doctor said we could go home. They unhooked his I.V. fluids and we got ready to go home. We got home around 8:30 p.m.

What an ordeal! Here baby J and I just got out of the hospital and here we were staying there again and for almost as long. But, our baby is out of harms way and recovering well. I am thankful it was a fixable condition and that he can now thrive once again.

Since we have been home baby J has been doing well. He has thrown up two of his feedings but I think it is because he got too much milk. The doctor okayed me to start nursing again but said to not let him get too full. I think with him being so hungry, he sucked out more then he normally does in a short period of time. I have been only nursing him 5 minutes on each side every 3 hours. I will slowly increase the times today and see how he handles it.

Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement. It is so good to know we are cared for.

Click here to read more about Pyloric Stenosis.
Pin It!

25 comments:

Krystal said...

glad you got it figured out and fixed! i'll keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

One Southern Girl said...

Glad you are home and he is doing better. Praying for a speedy and complete recovery!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness! Hugs! How scary! I'm glad you're home & J is on the mend!

CGBG said...

So happy to hear Baby J is doing better! It must have been awful to see him in the hospital! So glad he's home now!

Tamara said...

Oh my goodness, what a sad story! But soooooo glad it has a happy ending! Hope baby J and the rest of your family continue to do well and have a great Christmas!!

Little Miss Emmy Lou said...

Praise God he is recovering!

Sarah said...

So glad to hear it was diagnosed and fixed quickly! What an ordeal. I'm sure you all need some rest-we all know you don't get any in the hospital! Hope he is better soon!

Carly said...

I am so Happy to hear that Baby J and you are doing better. Wow.... Scary to have gone through that! Hopefullly he will be able to handel all his feedings soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Chari said...

I'm glad to hear he is doing well!

Yara said...

Oh I'm so glad you got a diagnosis & it was something that could be done to fix the problem.
praying he continues to keep his milk down
Hugs

Annie said...

Praise the Lord they were able to treat it! I hope he continues to get better so you can nurse him like normal again. You all are still in my prayers Beth!

Shannon (Coupon Mommy Of 2) said...

I will keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Melissa said...

I'm glad to hear things are looking up! I will keep you all in my prayers.

Christina said...

So glad to hear he's doing better! : D

janelle said...

Oh I've been thinking about you so much. I'm happy he's doing better but what an awful awful ordeal!! My heart hurts for you and your baby. I hope everything resolves well and he's soon happily nursing again. It's such a special bond, something I've recently learned. Anyway, just know you're in my thoughts.

nsees said...

It's so wonderful that you trusted your instincts and amazing that you were able to diagnose the problem. So glad to hear that Baby J is "all fixed up". God is good!

The Jacobsen Family! said...

I am so glad things are going better now! Been praying for you all!

Southern Belle said...

So good to hear Baby J is doing better and that you are both home!

Rose said...

That sounds so difficult! Every mom hates to hear her baby cry when there's nothing we can do to help! I am so glad for you that you figured out the problem and he is on the way to recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

HappilyDomestic said...

Thanks everyone! We are hanging in there. :-)

Audrey's Blog said...

So glad that you guys are home and on the way to having Baby J feeling better. Thinking of your family during this time!

Denise said...

I'm so glad to hear they were able to arrange things quickly to get him on the road to recovery. (((Hugs))) for you, I know how hard it is to stay at the hospital while the rest of the kids are home worrying. I'm sure they are all very happy to have you both at home again.

We will continue to pray for a quick & complete recovery for your precious baby.

vrtish55 said...

So thankful that all the prayers were answered, and that your baby is recovering as well as he is. God bless you and your family, and we will keep you in our prayers for continued healing.

Owen's Mom said...

So glad to hear you got in for surgery right away! I had mentioned your story to my MIL and she knew what it was right away. She also said the surgery fixes everything and now it will only get better. We are lucky to have modern medicine. Enjoy your little guy and allow yourself some time to relax.

Stacy said...

So happy that things worked out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...