Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe

2.17.2010

My mother in law made this while we were in Washington. I was so impressed because the chicken cooked so perfectly and it sounded so very easy to make. I always find great deals on chicken drumsticks at the store but usually pass them up because I never seem to cook them just right.

Yesterday I made this recipe for dinner. Well, actually it is so easy to make that I let my two oldest children make it!!! They had a blast, it turned out perfect just as it was in Washington and it made a ton! We got two full meals out of it and still have enough leftovers for two us for lunch tomorrow. Of course, I did double the recipe!


Chicken and Wild Rice

  • Chicken Drumsticks ( 8 for single batch, I used 14 for a double)
  • 1 Package Uncle Ben's Wild Rice ( I used 2 packages Rice Pilaf Mix)
  • 1/2 cup White or Brown Rice (Dry)
  • 3 cans creamed soups ( I used 4 cans for a double batch and used Cream of Mushroom, Celery, Chicken , and then Cheese soup)
In a baking pan pour wild rice and seasoning packet. Add the dry White or Brown rice. Spread evenly in pan. Next, spoon globs of soup onto rice (I dropped a variety of spoonfuls all around). Do not mix soups, it is nice to have a little variety in taste. It will blend in somewhat on it's own. After adding soup you then add in 3/4 can of water per soup ( For a larger batch as I made add in 4 full cans of water). Top with chicken. Bake covered at 275 degrees for 4 hours. During the last 30 minutes uncover to brown chicken.

That's it! So easy and it cooks up perfect. Would be a great crockpot recipe I am sure. I love that you can put it in the oven and forget it for 4 hours. Very convenient on those days when you need to get dinner in the oven before you leave to run errands.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Erin @ Puddin' Sugar said...

Wow, that looks amazing!

glenda09 said...

Yum!!!

Mindy said...

Chicken and rice was my favorite meal as a kid! I will have to try this one. Thanks!

The Tucker Family said...

LOVE your blog! I am now a "follower" 

I own a blog/design/scrapbooking/photography/WAHM forum I'd love you to join called My Great Retreat (link is below). Can't wait to keep in touch!

Meghan
http://tuckerstaketennessee.blogspot.com
www.mygreatretreat.com
http://mygreatretreat.blogspot.com

winterbabe98 said...

our son was looking over my shoulder and saw the pic of the recipe! He said, that looks good!"

Mamasooz said...

A blessing! A recipe with all ingredients in my freezer/pantry! I will try this during the week, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...