Saturday, March 13, 2010

Home Economics Course For Young Girls


99.9% of children will have homes of their own someday.

Are they prepared?

While many parents focus their attention on the academic excellence of their homeschooled children, they, unknowingly, are forgetting to equip their children with the knowledge of keeping a home. With the help of Anne White, great-grandmother and master chef, Pearables has prepared a Christian home economics program for home educators.

Each level is planned to be used once-a-week and they are proven to be easy to use, child/parent friendly, and are built upon the same Scriptural teaching principle, "Line upon line, precept upon precept." Starting as early as six, your child can begin today learning the simple art of caring for a home!

Even if you do not home school your child, every little girl needs to be taught how to care for a home. This is something you can do together after school or on the weekends. This home economics course is for everyone!

Level One for ages 6-8

Table of Contents:

(Each of the following have weekly recipes and tasks to complete.)

Week One - Nutrition

Week Two - Cooking: Learning to Peel (Making a carrot tray)

Week Three - Cooking: Using the Toaster (Cinnamon Toast Recipe)

Week Four - Cooking: Cooking with Eggs (Scrambled Egg Recipe)

Week Five - Cooking: Using the Stove

Week Six - Cooking: Learning about Salads

Week Seven - Cooking: Cooking your First Hot Meal

Week Eight - Cooking: Beginning Garnishing

Week Nine - Baking: Introducing the Oven

Week Ten - Baking: Following Directions

Week Eleven - Baking: Beginning Coating

Week Twelve - Baking: Using the Pastry Cutter

Week Thirteen - Baking: Using the Rolling Pin

Week Fourteen - Baking: Intro to Sifting

Week Fifteen - Baking: Baking and Cooking a Meal

Week Sixteen - Baking: Learning to Use a Grater

Week Seventeen - Cleaning: Using a Vacuum

Week Eighteen - Cleaning: Learning to Dust

Week Nineteen - Cleaning: How to Sweep Properly

Week Twenty - Cleaning: How to Wash the Dishes

Week Twenty-One - Cleaning: How to Make a Bed

Week Twenty-Two - Sewing: Learning to Stitch

Week Twenty-Three - Sewing: Backwards & Forwards

Week Twenty-Four - Sewing: Cutting a Pattern

Week Twenty-Five - Sewing: Sewing on Applique (Patterns)

Week Twenty-Six - Organizing: What is Organization?

Week Twenty-Seven - Organization: How to Organize a Closet

Week Twenty-Eight - Organization: Organizing the Bookshelf

Week Twenty-Nine - Hospitality: It’s Time for Company!

Week Thirty - Reviewing Level One


Level 2 for ages 8-10

Table of Contents:

(Each of the following have weekly recipes and tasks to complete.)

Week One - Learning About Nutrition

Week Two - Learning to Bake

Week Three - The Rules

Week Four - Why Sifting?

Week Five - Grains

Week Six - Dry and Wet Ingredients

Week Seven - Learning about Yeast

Week Eight - Bread Without Leaven

Week Nine - The Stove

Week Ten - Cooking With Meat

Week Eleven - Cooking With Cheese

Week Twelve - Making Clear Soups

Week Thirteen - Making Cream Soups

Week Fourteen - Learning to Cook Casseroles

Week Fifteen - Beginning Candy Making

Week Sixteen - Let’s Review Cooking

Week Seventeen - Items You Need for Sewing

Week Eighteen - Making a Simple Sewing Kit

Week Nineteen - Hand Stitching

Week Twenty - Making a Pin Cushion

Week Twenty-One - The Sewing Machine

Week Twenty-Two - Real Sewing!

Week Twenty-Three - Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

Week Twenty-Four - Cleaning Your Own Room

Week Twenty-Five - What Can’t You Find?

Week Twenty-Six - The Closet & Under the Bed

Week Twenty-Seven - Organizing Your School

Week Twenty-Eight - What is Hospitality?

Week Twenty-Nine - Three is NOT a Crowd

Week Thirty - Hosting a Party


Level 3 ages 10+

Table of Contents:

(Each of the following have weekly recipes and tasks to complete.)

Week One - Nutrition

Week Two - Nutrition: Why Overweight?

Week Three - Nutrition: Why Underweight?

Week Four - Cooking: Choosing Healthy Vegetables

Week Five - Cooking: How to Pick Fruit

Week Six - Cooking: Learning to Steam Veggies

Week Seven - Cooking: What is Sauteing?

Week Eight - Cooking: Healthy Stir-Frying.

Week Nine - Cooking: Healthy Substitutions

Week Ten - Cooking: Making Healthy Desserts

Week Eleven - Baking: How to Choose Snacks

Week Twelve - Baking: Homemade Breakfast

Week Thirteen - Baking: Perfecting Sweet Breads

Week Fourteen - Baking: What About Bread?

Week Fifteen - Baking: There’s More to Dough!

Week Sixteen - Baking: Let’s Shape Up!

Week Seventeen - Baking: Making Energy Bars

Week Eighteen - Ironing: How to Iron a Shirt

Week Nineteen - Sewing: Perfect Edges

Week Twenty - Sewing: Your Very First Skirt

Week Twenty-One - Sewing: How to Read Your Pattern

Week Twenty-Two - Sewing: Laying Out Your Pattern

Week Twenty-Three - Sewing: Sewing Safety

Week Twenty-Four - Cleaning: How to Clean the Bathroom

Week Twenty-Five - Cleaning: How to Clean the Kitchen

Week Twenty-Six - Cleaning: Homemade Cleaning Solutions

Week Twenty-Seven - Organizing: Organizing the Kitchen

Week Twenty-Eight - Hospitality: What to Do When you have Surprise Company

Week Twenty-Nine - Hospitality: Hosting a Celebration for Others

Week Thirty - Level Review

Visit Pearables to purchase these great home economic books and other great character building books! Click here.
Pin It!

9 comments:

Jill said...

Too bad there's not a set for boys. Most boys don't get raised to 'do' most of these chores, and that's where the unbalance in modern families comes in. They don't feel they 'have' to and cut and run, or stay and drag the lady of the house down. I never had a structured way of learning like this, but learned the chores, nonetheless

HappilyDomestic said...

They do offer a set of books for boys that teaches responsibility. It includes cleaning and household type learning. But, there is no reason why a boy can't learn home economics as well. I teach my oldest son the same things that I teach my daughter. He will make an awesome husband and father someday. :-)

Jenna said...

Promise I'm not trying to be rude! Curious, though - what kind of Christian references do these books make? Nonreligious family here, but I LOVE the idea of these books!!...

Shelley said...

While I think it's a great idea to teach your child home economics, I find these books sexist. Why should girls learn to cook and sew and boys learn household "responsibility"? We need to teach all who live in the house that it is their shared responsibility for all the household work.

I'm glad you are teaching your son(s) to cook and sew and I hope you are also teaching your daughter to change a tire and how to mow the lawn. And that she can be anything she wants to be.

HappilyDomestic said...

Jenna- Well, these books contain a scripture verse with each lesson, but other then that nothing. They are not preachy whatsoever..they are very simply laid out and basically just have the lessons. I only have the first book in the series though and so am going off that. Hope this helps. :-) I really like them because they start at such a young age. Most home economic books start at middle to high school grades.

HappilyDomestic said...

Shelley- I have the first in the boys series and it is actually a real good book, teaching boys how to care for the home and themselves, how to show honor and respect for their siblings and elders. You have to keep in mind that these were all written by an older woman. Not to mention, let's face it..not many parents out there do teach their sons home economics. I do not think this woman feels that boys shouldn't help care for the house, the boys books clearly show the opposite.

Yes, I want my sons to know how to cook and clean so that can be a blessing to their future wives and help out when they can. My husband cleans all the time. And although I do most of the cooking, he makes french toast for the family every Saturday morning.:-)

I do not raise my children in a gender neutral environment as I believe God has created male and female each differently and each with their own special purposes, but I do feel both boys and girls need to learn life skills equally. So, yes.. my daughter will learn to mow a lawn and fix a flat (although I don't even know how to do that.) My daughter CAN be anything she wants to be, but I will never teach her by the worlds standards. I will continue to teach and prepare all my children for marriage and family and caring for their homes. I feel honored to be a homemaker and do not look at it as a failure in life. I am blessed to be home with my children, I am blessed to have the privilege of being their teacher. I look at what I "do" as a very important job and will not discourage my daughter from doing the same when she has a family.

I do not mean to sound defensive and I apologize if I do, but being a homemaker is dear to my heart and I do not feel it is sexist to teach our daughters about these things.

Chari said...

Beth, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with these books. What a nice basic idea to introducing particular subjects to make them fun and enjoyable for all. I look forward to adding these to our curriculum as my kids get older.

Shelly, your idea of how a family should function is different from Beth's. Obviously you must know even by reading the title of this blog that her goals are caring for her family in a more traditional role. If you find her life offensive why are you even reading this blog let alone make such a rude comment?

The issue really lies in the skewed concept of equal everything in today's society among the genders. Where households that have both parents working and their precious children are shipped off to daycare everyday comes this struggle of having all family and household responsibilities equally split to make everything "fair". This in turn creates a multitude of issues. When families focus on what God has intended for the family to function there is no struggle for "equality".

Shelley said...

First, I don't think my comment was rude and I'm sorry if I offended. But Chari, I don't need a reprimand from you. I don't find her life offensive at all. I respect her greatly. She is raising four happy and healthy kids, teaching them at home, and keeping her marriage healthy - none of which is easy on its own, and together is a task I can't even imagine taking on!

Like I said, I think that teaching children "home economics" is important, I just feel that both genders should learn how to care for themselves and their homes. And while I value the job of a homemaker (it is certainly the hardest job there is), I also believe that a woman shouldn't be raised believing that she is inferior to men and that she can't be the CEO of a big company, if she so desires.

I didn't mean to insinuate that Beth is not teaching her daughter well. I just take issue with the book that classifies so strictly by gender.

Shelley said...

Re-reading what I just wrote, I didn't mean for it to sound that the job of homemaker is inferior. I feel quite the opposite, in fact. I meant that a girl should be raised to believe that, should she so desires, she can be a big head-honcho and that that is not a job reserved solely for men.

I know what the Bible says about gender roles, and I also know plenty of Christian women who work and thrive outside the home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...