Earth Day was created in 1970 as a global day of observance of the need to protect the earth. What better way to protect our earth then to use cloth diapers!
Disposable diapers have been around a long time. The very first disposable diaper was invented in Sweden in 1942. Did you know that it can take 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose? This means any disposable diapers my parents used on me are still lying around in some landfill. Pretty gross, huh? This also means that very first diaper invented in Sweden in 1942 is also probably still lying around somewhere.
It is estimated 27.4 billion disposable diapers are used each year in the US, resulting in a possible 3.4 million tons of used diapers adding to landfills each year. And this is only the US! Do the math...that is 231.2 million TONS of diapers since disposable diapers began.
Don't get me wrong, disposable diapers have their place. It use to be that disposable diapers were considered a "luxury" item. Parents only used these diapers for travel, camping, etc. Although there has been an increase in cloth diaper awareness, most parents still prefer to use disposables. This is the sad reality.
Have you made the switch yet? Here are some things to consider:
- Cloth diapering your child will save you over a thousand dollars by the time your child turns two.
- Cloth diapers are now as easy to use as disposables and a LOT more cute!
- Your child will be more comfortable and experience less rashes.
- Cloth diapers can be saved and passed down to multiple children, increasing your savings and impact on our environment.
- When you are finished diapering your children, your cloth diapers can be given to charitable organizations such as The Cloth Diaper Foundation who help low income families diaper their babies. They can be sold at Diaper Swappers, making your diapering cost in the end minimal. If they are too ratty, you can use them as dust rags! Can you do any of these things with your disposable diapers?
- Most importantly- You will be leaving a better world for your children...and their children..and their children. You get the picture!
In celebration of Earth Day and as a special thanks to all my wonderful readers who have been so supportive of my choice to cloth diaper my babies, I will be holding a one day giveaway contest! Winner will receive one Smartipants one-size pocket diaper. These diapers are great and one of my top 3 favorites. Winner will have choice of color. Choices are: Aqua Breeze (This is the color my son has on in the picture above), Bright White, Clever Clover, Cool Blue, Lovely Lavender, Mellow Yellow, or Think Pink.
There is 3 ways to enter:
(Yes, you can do all three)
- Leave a comment on this post telling me your best tip for protecting our planet.
- Tell me how you spread the word about cloth diapers. What reaction do you normally get from people?
- Post about this topic today on your blog. Don't forget to use my Fluff Talk Thursdays Banner (code can be found on my right hand side bar). Remember to link up! (leave a comment saying you did this)
To see the last Fluff Talk Thursday Post click here.
Instructions for Fluff Talk Thursdays, click here.
*Earth Day Giveaway Has Ended*