Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whole Foods For The Whole Family

On Monday when I posted my menu plan for the week, I mentioned using most of my recipes from my Whole Foods For The Whole Family Cookbook. Well, I want to tell you a bit more about it because I think this cookbook is awesome and that every homemaker and mother should own this!! Don't be scared away by it's retro 80's cover, you are going to love this!

Originally put out in 1981 by La Leche League International (Breast Feeding Moms Group) this cookbook is for the health conscious family wanting to eat foods in the most natural state possible. Every recipe in this cookbook is made with only non-processed whole foods. Desserts have minimal sweetening. There is recipes for both the vegetarian and meat eater.

This cookbook not only contains tasty nutritious recipes for everyday but also teaches you ways to be more frugal and live more sustainably. You learn how to make your own tofu, yogurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese, butter, jams and jellies, sausage, peanut butter, fruit leather, beef jerky, granola, english muffins, tortillas, pita bread, sour dough starter (recipes to use sourdough as well), seasoning mixtures, salad dressing, mayo, bbq sauce, ketchup and salsa. You will learn sprouting methods, how to soak and cook legumes and grains, and what to serve them with to create a protein complement. You will learn how to make your own baby food. There is also a lot of great toddler recipes as well.

This cookbook contains a LOT of recipes that can be made ahead and frozen (there a list of which recipes freeze well). There is also a list of which recipes can be made in a hurry for fast meals. There is nutritional guidelines with each recipe and suggestions on how to switch your family over to whole grains (for those who are use to eating white breads). With 900 recipes to choose from you will not miss your old way of eating.

You can buy this cookbook at Love To Learn for the best price. I bought mine from there over a year ago. I like supporting this store/ministry because it is a family run company. They are a homeschool family with 7 children and offer great resources for those of us who educate at home.

For those of you who do not buy the cookbook, I want to share with you all what I learn as I go through it. I first need to seek out permission from the La Leche League as to not go against any copyrights.

Do any of you own this cookbook? Do you have something similar? Is this something that interests you at all? Leave comments and let's talk about it!
Pin It!

6 comments:

Chari said...

It sounds really good and close to how we are eating in our family. It would be nice to have a cookbook like this on hand that has such a variety of recipes. I know I get tired of searching for various recipes online, then printing them out...then printing them again when I can't find them :-)

Could you tell me what type of sweeteners they use in the recipes?

HappilyDomestic said...

Well, in the dessert recipes they mostly call for honey. I did see a few recipes throughout the cookbook that call for sugar. You can always use an alternative though customizing it to your own needs.

Amanda said...

My mother-in-law just showed me her favorite recipe book this weekend - it was a Le Leche League cookbook from 1972(ish). She said she cooked from it every night practically! I took home the recipe for Liver Slivers - because she said her kids (my hubby included) loved them and I've never tried liver (I've heard it's GROSS!) So, we'll see!

Not There Yet said...

Thank you so much! I was looking for a cookbook just like this. I am on a simple eating plan, but I am not very good with coming up with recipes on my own. This is perfect.

Tamara said...

Wow, awesome! I try to keep us on a whole food diet as much as possible. This book sounds great, I just may look for it. I'm eally looking forward to your reviews!

Chari said...

Thank you for the info. Yes, you are right, honey can pretty much substitute any recipe that calls for sugar with a little adjusting to the dry/wet ration.

As for Amanda: I'm pretty sure my mom has one of those old LLL cookbooks as well. I remember her using it when I was young. I will have to ask her if she still has it.

I am going to order this cookbook soon. I'm really looking forward to it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...