Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Diapers and Formula

Tonight I went to Safeway to purchase some disposable diapers and baby formula. While checking out, the checker kept going on and on about how expensive it is when you have to buy formula and diapers. He said he remembers always having to buy them when his kids were babies. I wanted to speak up and say how I use cloth diapers during the day and only use disposables at night! I wanted to say that I DID nurse my baby for 10 months and that I wanted to go longer but he wouldn't do it!

Why do some of the silliest things make us feel like failures as mothers???? I don't need to justify myself to the store clerk!! I don't need to reason why I am a good mom. I know I am doing the best job that I can do. It is out of my control that my son stopped nursing on his own and that my babies cloth diapers reak with ammonia overnight and burn their poor tushes! I can't help these things! Do any of you experience this?

I think as a mom most of us are overly sensitive about what we put on and in our babies. We don't ever want to appear as not doing anything but the best. Sometimes though we need to let go of these "perfect mom" images and know that what really matters is being a loving, caring mom to our children. This does not mean if you bottle feed your baby you are somehow less of a mom or if you happen to use disposable diapers you are being lazy. None of these things matter in the end. Our children will not remember these things. I had to stop myself from feeling guilty tonight and remind myself of these things.
Pin It!

7 comments:

Carly said...

True all True..Thanks for Reminding me too:)

Jill said...

I just see it as an opportunity to let people know about cloth. The maybe, the next time someoen says somethgn to them, or their kids have kids, then they'll pass the word along, you know?

Jenny said...

I desperately wanted to nurse my first child, and, he just couldn't latch correctly. We have no local lactation support so I had no choice but to turn to formula. I was terribly embarrassed that I couldn't provide this wonderful, healthy option for my child. I am now 30 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby, and, praying daily I will be able to nurse this time.

Beearedubbya said...

I love this post! I justify myself all the time and while I've gotten better, The Lord is still working in this area of my life! I will send others to your blog to read this!

Tamara said...

Just the fact that you are worried about this shows that you are an awesome mommy! All awesome moms do the best they can for their children. I know exactly how you feel regarding the formula, btw. I couldn't get my daughter latched on ever (I have inverted nipples) despite trying for about 4 months. Then I had to deal with low supply, I only got about 4 oz. a day through pumping, despite being on a perscription and fenugreek and pumping all the time. I was so heartbroken and felt like a failure as a mother. Breastfeeding is the God-given, natural way for mothers to feed their babies and I couldn't do it! I almost hated myself. One of the lactation counsultants that I saw gave me a little comfort by telling me: "breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world that doesn't come naturally".
Don't even doubt for one second that you are the best mom in the world for your children! :)

Annie said...

I think even the slightest comments - even well intentioned ones - can bring up old wounds and guilty feelings. As moms we are our worst critics. We know what is best for our children and when we don't measure up we let ourselves know!

You said it so well - we need to let go of these perfect images. Thank you for sharing this story, I have so many things to work through myself.

Christina said...

I'm completely with you on this, I have to remind myself al the time to stop feeling like I need to defend myself. I'm doing the best I can for my kids and that's all that matters! :) My oldest wasn't able to latch on so we had to switch to formula and he even decided he was done with that at 10 months! You just do the best you can! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...