Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fluff Talk Thursdays- Meet Our Cloth Diaper Mama's for November 4th!


For the entire month of November each Fluff Talk Thursdays I will be featuring 3 cloth diaper mamas for you to meet. This is a fun way for us all to get better acquainted. I am excited to introduce you to these amazing mamas. Let's get started.....

Our first mama is Tamara...


Name: Tamara

Children: Emma, 21 months and....baby #2, on the way, coming in June

Occupation: cook, maid, laundry attendant, chauffeur, financial accountant, household manager, in other words, a SAHM!

How long have you been cloth diapering? a little over a year

What is your favorite diaper brand and style? Hmm, really hard to pick just one. I definitely prefer pockets and like different diapers in different situations, but I reach for the Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius the most.

What type of comments do you receive from friends/family/strangers about your cloth diapering decision?
Most people think it's really neat because they're not familiar with modern cloth diapers. There are a few people, however, that are adamant that they would never try it.


Tell us a bit about yourself! I'm a married mother of a 20 month old little girl and a baby on the way. I studied early childhood education and then counseling psychology in school and was working as a mental health social worker before I had my daughter and then became a SAHM. Although it's been a tough adjustment in many ways, it's the best thing for our family and we sacrifice to make it possible. I am passionate about my family, green living, cloth diapering, eating healthy and being the best mom and wife I can be! I just expanded my blog to include product review and giveaways recently and I'm very excited about that!

Website/Blog: cirtandtamara.blogspot.com


Next we have Cinella....


Name: Cinella Reyes

Children: Yvette (6 yrs old) and Eliada (19 months) both girls

Occupation: SAHM/Mystery Shopper

How long have you been cloth diapering? Almost a year

What is your favorite diaper brand and style? Of course daddy likes AIO’s, but I am content with a Thirsties duo & a prefold (tri-fold or angle fold with a snappi)

How did you get started cloth diapering? It was out of necessity. Hubby was fired from his job after his father got ill and we were the only ones that could go take care of him. So with all our money to help him and I was 4 months pregnant with our second I started blogging about our pregnancy and I saw there was lots of other mamas blogging and then I found cloth diaper blogs!! I got our first diapers from a local mom I found on Freecycle and won a bag of rockin’ green detergent! It took off from that moment on and we’ve saved tons of $$$$$!

What is your best cloth diaper advice? My best advice to a newbie would be to check and look around locally for some resources that can help you (Freecycle) before you go spending $100 on newborn diapers that they will just grow out within a few months! And for mamas who have been diapering for a few months… reach out and offer your expertise with new mamas! Help spread the word about how easy, inexpensive and eco-friendly cloth diapering is!

Tell us your funniest cloth diaper moment: I remember when my Eli started walking and noticing that her diapers were different and that I would tell others about it when we had visitors. One time my sister was visiting (she isn’t the greenest person) and my little Eli walked up to her and just yanked off her diaper with one motion and was proudly displaying her cute cloth diaper (I think it was a gDiaper). My sister freaked out! It was hilarious!

Is your husband supportive of your choice to cloth diaper? At first, of course not. He didn’t like the fact that we would be carrying a wet or dirty diaper with us while we were out and about. But he soon realized that other parents that use disposables do the same thing. He loves using AIO’s and loves it even more when they match her outfit, which is odd for any man. And now I even hear him telling his friends, who are starting families as well, how much money we save using cloth diapers and how cute they are. Again, he loves them now and can’t wait to get all the cute prints when we have our boys! We plan on having two more babies (hopefully boys).

What type of comments do you receive from friends/family/strangers about your cloth diapering decision? At first people, mommies, just stare. Then I look over and tell ask, “Aren’t they adorable?” And then they ask questions as to “What is it?” My family love how cute they are and I tell them about the environmental impact and all the other facts that I’ve learned about ‘sposies and they usually don’t want to hear it. I hope they will cloth diaper if they have more children. I have encouraged my friends to switch, but haven’t had any follow thru-ers yet!

Tell us a bit about yourself! I am a 26 year old mama of two beautiful girls. I have been happily married for almost 7 years (23rd of January). We live with my mother (after my father lost his battle with cancer in 2005) and just love how close we are to other family and friends; we plan to stay here until hubby finishes college. After my hubby lost his father in 2009 we have changed our lifestyle. We eat organic fruits and veggies and try our best to be green and save money at the same time! Since then I now run my local FreeCycle, volunteer at our local church, swap diapers, recycle, and also have a playgroup on CafeMom!

Website/Blog: The Mommy Blog: http://cjrthemommyblog.blogspot.com


Last but not least we have Angie...


Name: Angie


Children: Miss M (age 6) and Baby C (17 months) both girls.

Occupation: Stay at Home Mom

How long have you been cloth diapering? Since the youngest was about 6 weeks old. I never cd my oldest.

What is your favorite diaper brand and style? It depends on the time of day. For everyday/out and about use, I prefer the Flip and BumGenius 3.0 or 4.0. For naptime, I prefer either a SoftBums (which is also a great all-the-time diaper too) and/or a Bummis EasyFit. For overnight, I have recently come to love the Lollipop overnight diaper and my overall trusty standby is the FuzziBunz. I love the FuzziBunz because it is so accommodating. You can stuff that diaper to the gills and it works great.

How did you get started cloth diapering? Back in 2007, when I just had one child who was already potty trained, we went to visit some friends. While there, my girlfriend changed the diaper of her then toddler. She used a FuzziBunz to change her. Both my husband and I asked her what kind of diaper she was using since we had never seen a "modern" cloth diaper before. She explained that it was indeed a cloth diaper and showed how easy it was to use on her child. During the car ride home, both my husband and I agreed that if we had another child we would try out some cloth diapers. So in 2009, we had our second daughter and thus began our journey in cloth.


What is your best cloth diaper advice? Get a diaper sprayer once your baby is eating all solids. It will really help keep you going with cloth. Also, get a trail package or at least buy a bunch of different diapers instead of just buying one brand. All diapers fit differently since all babies are different. You need to find the right diaper for you and your baby. It is like the old saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket or in this case, all your brands of diapers!


Is your husband supportive of your choice to cloth diaper? Yes, as I stated previously, it was a mutual decision and one that we both were interested in. So I did not have to resort to any coercion! :) He was there with me from the beginning.

What type of comments do you receive from friends/family/strangers about your cloth diapering decision? When I first told my mom that we were going to try cloth diapers, she was surprised. The last that she had seen (and used) them was on me, which was over 30 years ago! She just remembered the pins and the rubber pants. When I showed her the diapers I had purchased (through a trial program) she was happy to see that the diapers had improved in appearance but she wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stick with it due to having to wash them. Since Baby C has now been using them for over a year, my family and friends are very supportive and compliment her when she is wearing an especially cute diaper. I haven't had any experience with strangers comments. My next door neighbors asked me once (when they didn't know I was using cloth diapers) whether Caroline was wearing a fancy cover over her disposable. I responded that it was a cloth and they were surprised and asked more questions. Subsequently, one of the neighbor found out later that she was pregnant and decided to cloth diaper her baby. My niece as well is expecting and is planning in cloth diapering. I like to think that I played some sort of role in raising their awareness.


Tell us a bit about yourself: I live in a suburb of Chicago. I have a bachelor degree in history and secondary education from Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin. As is sometimes the case when having to decide a field of study when you are 19, I discovered upon graduating that teaching was not the place for me. Instead I got a job working in a public library. I love reading and have always felt at home in a library. Even though I am not "working" right now, I still take my girls to the library once a week to instill the love and appreciation of books in them. It makes me so happy when I see both of them sitting down looking at books. I hope to return to school for my masters in library science once the girls are older and both in school full time. I enjoy my time with my girls but I also appreciate the fact that they are their own people (even now at their young ages) and so with them forming their identities, I must not forget my own.

Website/Blog: Queen of the Snot Princesses


Now go visit these cloth diaper mama's blogs and say hello! There is no link up today.


* I still need 7 moms for my upcoming Cloth Diaper Mama posts for this month. Please email me at HappilyDomestic09@yahoo.com if you are interested!*
Pin It!

4 comments:

AEK said...

Thanks for including me, Beth! It all looks great! Also, if you get a chance check out my blog today. I did a review of that My Twinn I won from you a while back. I finally gave it to my daughter on her Oct. birthday.
Thanks again!

Tamara said...

Yay, thanks, I'm so honored to be featured on your blog!

newmami_rgv said...

So glad FTT is back! Featuring mamas is such a good idea... thanks for featuring us mamas.

HappilyDomestic said...

Your welcome! Thanks for participating and making this so fun. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...