Monday, November 1, 2010

Winter Home Projects

After having our home on the market for 6 months without a bite, we have decided to wait a bit before selling again. The real estate market is so bad and my husband's job is not secure at the moment. Instead, we have decided to refinance. Our current loan has a somewhat high interest rate. We will also try and take out a little extra to do a few home projects. First, we desperately need to replace our old yucky carpet. We are looking into hard wood. We also would like to put in a wood burning stove in our living room. This will help with the heating exspenses and save us money in the long run.

Other than these 2 major projects, my husband and I will be moving our 3 boys into our bedroom and we will be moving into our 10 year olds little 10x10 room. It will not be fun giving up the space, but when you have 4 kids and a tiny house, you have to make do. For the boys we will paint the room blue and will be doing an outerspace theme for them. I am actually excited to get started on it. We actually have a lot of painting to do throughout our home...the kitchen, living room, and our new room. Lot's of winter projects! I am also excited because my dad is giving us a stove with double ovens! He recently divorced and no longer needs it and it is in like new condition. I am thrilled because our stove is so old and junky. He also has a drop leaf table we are going to look at.

Anyway, thought I would share as I am getting excited about all this. It will be a lot of work, but it will help the winter fly by. I will post pictures as the projects start up.

What are you winter project plans?
Pin It!

3 comments:

Jill said...

If I could be moderately helpful here? Or just butt in? Pretty sure you can get 'wall stickers' of outer space themes, so you don't have to go to the work of intricately painting stuff on the walls (that if you sell your house, someone else will just have to paint over)...Wallies is one company, there are others. We tried to buy a house once with a wood burning stove. I won't go into the details, but the whole place stunk. Seriously. It was nauseating. you might love them, and that's fine, but it might be better to put money into insulating your house versus a stove. The insulation will be good year round. Might also help with resale value--your electric company should come and energy monitor your house if you ask them for a small fee. So jealous of the double oven thing! Lol. A 10x10 room isn't bad. I mean, all you do is umm.. sleep in it right? If you need the closet space, you could store off season clothes at the back/sides of the closet in that room. I never have understood the need for a giant bedroom. We measured our furniture and made our room JUST big enough to hold it when we had our house built. We really DON'T do much more than.. well the obvious in there anyway, we spend more time in the living room kitchen/dining rooms than anything, and those are larger... Sorry if that's being a pain in the butt.

Chari said...

I never knew anyone that had a woodburning stove in their home so I cant tell you about that. My parents did buy one when we were younger but never used it. They even had a brick pad laid in our second living room and it was a pain because everyone tripped on it constantly.

However, what about looking into other energy efficient upgrades in your home? Such as windows. I don't know how old your windows are, but this can be a great source of energy loss. I THINK there are still tax deductions for putting these in your home too. I'm sure a window company could tell you more about that.

Good luck!

HappilyDomestic said...

Jill- Thanks for the tips. I will look into the wall stickers. I actually wasn't going to paint any pictures, just paint the walls a solid blue color. May not be the best for resale, but I keep not doing what I want to our house because of resale and we never manage to sell it! lol. We can always re-paint if it really bothers the potential buyers.

My husband and I actually really like looking at the fire. We would love a fireplace but do not have the room. The woodstove is the next best option. I wonder if the people you knew did not have proper ventilation? I have been in homes with a woodstove and never felt they stunk. hmmm..that is something to look into though. Our house actually is pretty well insulated. We just put on new siding, have new double paned windows and not that long ago had more insulation blown into the attic. We want the stove for the fun of it , but it will also help with the heating bill. :-)

I can't wait for the oven. My dad said they spent over a thousand dollars for it!! It also has a glass top range. So excited! Our old oven was a freebie and is hard to clean.

Yes, I know..a 10x10 isn't THAT bad, but when we have another baby we will not have room in there for a crib. That will be the biggest problem with the small room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...