Thursday, December 2, 2010

Making Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas (Recipe Included)

I am so excited, I have to share with you about my new tortilla press! My husband and I have been wanting one of these for the past several years as we eat a lot of tortillas in our house. I recently purchased this 10" Chef Pro tortilla press online at Kitchen Specialties and Granary. They have the best price, cheaper than Amazon (even with shipping)! Mine arrived in the mail 2 days ago and I have been dying to give it a try.

Tonight the kids and I made our own homemade whole wheat tortillas and they were so easy to make! (see recipe below) It will be a learning process to get them perfect, but already these tortillas are 100% better than any of the ones I have previously attempted to make by hand. I can't wait to try more recipes. I would love to make my own spinach wraps. If any of you have a good recipe you want to share, please do!

Whole Wheat Tortillas

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups unbleached (or all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1cup warm water

Rub flour, salt, and oil together with your fingers until completely incorporated and fine crumbs form. Pour water into dry ingredients and immediately work it in with a fork. Dough will be in large clumps. Sprinkle with flour and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide dough into 8-10 portions and shape into balls about 2 inches in diameter. Set dough balls on a plate, cover with plastc wrap, and let rest for at least 30 minutes before baking.

If using the Chef Pro tortilla press, preheat press about 10 minutes before baking. When ready place dough ball towards middle and back of press. You will now quickly press down on dough for less than 1 second. Repeat 3 times then flip tortilla and quickly press other side. When your tortilla is the desired thinness, stop applying pressure and let tortilla cook for a bit. Remember to flip your tortilla often during the baking process. Keep the tortillas that are ready in a bowl and cover with towel, this will keep them warm and soft.


Making your own tortillas is great because not only are they healthier than store bought tortillas, but you will save a TON of money! This recipe probably cost maybe 50 cents and we got 10 tortillas out of it. Typically you pay at least $3.00 for 10 organic whole wheat tortillas at the store (if not more). You will save even more if you grind your own grains and you will get organic healthy whole wheat flour for far less than the cheapest store bought white flour. I am planning on making a lot of tortillas and freezing them for later. I am so glad I invested in this.



If you would like to purchase one of these Chef Pro tortilla presses, click here to buy. Also, I would like to mention that your purchase to Kitchen Specialties and Granary (before December 15th) will also give you 10 extra entries into my Nutrimill grain mill giveaway!!! The Chef Pro tortilla press is only $69.99 plus shipping, but shipping is free with purchases of $100 or more. Great gift idea for Christmas!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Chari said...

Now I want a tortilla press! I've been making WW tortillas for several months, but mine are 100% WW. I tried it once half WW and half white flour and didn't like them nearly as much, surprisingly! My husband who doesn't like WW anything actually likes them! We also eat them warm with honey. Hubby adds butter to his and I add cinnamon to mine.

Here's my recipe. It has basically the same prep instructions. You might need a tad more water than the recipe calls for if you use all WW flour.

3 cups whole wheat
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

pinky6770 said...

I would love to have the tortillas press. pinkwaterfallsflowers@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...