Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Goals for 2011

What is it about a new year that makes us all feel as though we have a fresh start? Some years I have purposely not made personal goals or resolutions simply because it is expected, this year however I have felt very determined to make some much needed changes in my life! If I had to pin point everything I would name it CHAOS. I feel their is a serious lack of order in my life and it is time for a change!! I desire peace this coming year more than anything...peace in my home, body, and spirit!

How do I plan to conquer the things that are creating chaos in my life? Here's how:

  • Get on a budget- One of the major areas I feel is out of control is our finances. We are not big spenders or anything, but are also not savers. My husband's job hasn't been a big security in our lives. In fact, he was suppose to be laid off in Nov. of 2009! We feel blessed he has had work this long, but always live with the worry he may be out of work soon. I want to see us saving more, spending less, and sticking to a plan. I sat down and figured our outgoing expenses for each month and am in the process of putting together a written budget. Anyone have tips on this matter, I would love to hear them!
  • Family Devotions- I hate to admit it, but putting God at the head of our family has not been a priority lately. There has been a lot of inconsistency in our family prayer times, bible readings, etc. This is NOT okay. I want to see my family drawing a closer relationship with God and see us getting into the word more. Awhile back in a Above Rubies magazine they recommended a devotional called, "Daily Light on the Daily Path". It is devotions for both morning and evening which are 100% scripture based. I just purchased a copy and can't wait to get started with it!
  • Healthier Living- This is an ongoing goal and I do feel I have made great progress in this area in the past couple years. However, I want to see greater changes made starting this year. First off, I want my family on superior vitamins and supplements as I feel these are vitally important to our health and wellness. We ALWAYS seem to get sick when we run out of our vitamins! I have created a health plan for each member of my family and am hoping we make good on our income tax return so we can purchase 6 months worth at one time. I will share our plans in another post if any of you are curious. :-) My other main goal in the healthier living category is our food. After watching a couple pretty eye opening shows of Netflix, I don't think I will ever look at food the same again (but this is a good thing)!! I want to focus on buying Organic, Local, and Fresh! Yes, organic is pricey and I highly doubt we will buy 100% organic, but we will certainly take our summer vegetable garden more seriously this year. I have also signed up to a Food COOP called Azure Standard. If you haven't heard of Azure, you should check it out and see if they deliver to your area...it is AWESOME!! They have some great prices on organic and natural foods and household items. Their bulk grain prices are extremely low and I am especially excited about this now that I bake our bread. I have also gone online and wrote down as many local farms and orchards as I could find (there were a TON) and am going to start visiting these to see who offers the best quality, affordable produce. A friend of mine found a family near by that sells raw cows milk and I will be buying into that heard share soon. Lastly, we are going to make it a priority to get my husband set up to start hunting. If he can kill an elk, deer, and a few turkeys each year we will be set on our meat (minus chicken). Anyway, I am very excited about this and look forward to gaining more knowledge in the are of nutrition.
  • Cleaner Home- With a small house, large family, and practically zero storage space keeping my home organized and tidy is a daily battle! Did I forget to mention that I also homeschool 5 days a week? You can probably imagine how hard it is to fit household chores into my already busy days. I hate it when our house is messy. I feel more stressed, depressed, and have a hard time focusing on anything! It is not good. I have made numerous chore lists for everyone in the family,but have yet to find a system that works well for us. Although, I am afraid the fault lies more in our consistency verses the actual chore system! :-( I have decided to give Flylady a try. I have done her system in the past and have had success. It is pretty basic but very thorough and their is a lot of encouragement and support in the Flylady group. I just signed up and am trying to figure it all out and am starting tomorrow! Wish me luck! By the way- Flylady is FREE if any of you want to jump in with me.
  • Date Night- Another badly neglected area! Literally my husband and I go on only 1 date a year. Sometimes we have gone longer than a year! We do not have many babysitting options and money always seems tight. I am determined to change this! I already picked a date for each month for 2011. Even if all we do is go for a walk or a picnic, I want to see my husband & I making our marriage a priority! I have also set it up so that one month I plan the date and then the following month he plans.
  • Family Fun Night- One Friday a month this will be a special night to cook up some fun foods, play games, make a craft and spend some quality time together as a family.
  • Follow Mom/Follow Dad- I have mentioned this before...when my kids were littler when they got to spend one on one time with me or my husband they called it "Following Mom Day" or "Following Dad Day". The names have stuck and this is what these days have been called from then on. I set dates on my calender for these days. We only do these with our older two children as the younger two always get our attention. So basically, one moth I take out our 10 yr. old son and my husband takes our daughter and then the next month we swap. It doesn't have to be costly and we don't even have to leave the house. I did this in October with my oldest two and we had our following mom day at home. They took turns getting to stay up late with me watching a movie and eating popcorn! They loved it.
  • Keeping a Family Manual- I have been working hard the past week on putting together a Family Manual. I have a 3 ring binder and am adding categories to it such as...meal planning, budgeting, cleaning, homeschool, birthday parties, to do lists, etc. I have added a spaces for each family member and this is where I will keep their health plans, etc. It's just a place to keep everything together basically. I am hoping it will help me stay focused on my priorities. {{hoping}}
  • More Sleep!- I have gone from being pregnant to having an infant for the past almost 4 now and am quite sleep deprived. You would think being woke up each might would be enough to make me go to bed at a decent hour, but this is not the case! I admit, I am a night owl! I don't think I would be able to maintain this blog even the slightest if I wasn"t though. But, I know all this sleep deprivation in catching up with me. I feel as though I have constant brain fog, I poop out around 10am everyday, and just feel plain worn out. The days I go to bed by 10pm (and if I sleep the whole night through) I feel great! I have such a better attitude with my children and get much more accomplished. One of the only things that even keeps me up late is the computer. So...the parental controls are about to get stricter because I want to be in bed by 10am at least Sunday-Thursday nights! I also want to try and wake by 6:30am as well. My kids do so much better in school when we start by 8 or 9. It's the days we start at 10am that we end up doing school until dad gets home. :-( Yes, more sleep is in order!
Speaking of needing more sleep, here I am blogging at almost midnight when I should be in bed! I will end here. I just really wanted to share my goals with you all. One of the reasons is because I want the accountability. I would love for you all to check in on me from time to time and ask me how I am doing with my goals. It is not going to be easy!

What are some of your goals for this new year?
Pin It!

5 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Wow! These all sound like wonderful goals. I like that you went ahead and scheduled a date night for each month.

newmami_rgv said...

Those are some awesome goals for this year.... I like the sleep one! lol We all need more of that. Happy New Year!
CJR @ The Mommy Blog

Jodi Faye said...

Sounds like we have a lot of the same goals this year!

Lark said...

I am totally on board with you on the family devotions. Ours have been the same way lately! And you are right, it's NOT okay! I am planning to do better too. I use Keys for Kids by CBH ministries. They are really good! I also would like to have a date night. I may have to add that one to my "resolutions".

Jamie said...

I'm right with you on needing a cleaner home and date nights! It's so hard to do both of these things with young children. I would also like to start doing family devotions. Thanks for the great post! I really like your blog, so I'm following now.

I recently started a blog, stop by and check it out. http://tripledutymomma.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...