Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do it Yourself- Homemade Dish "Soap"

Homemade Dish "Soap"


About a month ago my dishwasher died. It was such a sad death, she had been with me for so many years.........Now she is just used for her butcher block top and storage. Having a small kitchen I need that extra counter top and storage space, so she stays. :) This ultimately means that me and my dish-washing hands became friends again. This is a love-hate relationship. I really do enjoy washing dishes, it gives me time to think and pray.....but my hands get so dry and I dis-like wearing gloves. I also find that hand washing does take up a lot more of my time and with a family of 5 this chore takes me awhile. I'm getting use to it again, I am sure many of you out there do not have a dish washer. :)


I usually buy the "cheap stuff" from Dollar General but this week I decide to try homemade dish soap. After reading several recipes I put this one together. For those familiar with castile soap you know that there will be no suds in your water. It can take some time getting use to not having suds in your dish water, you will also notice that the water is more oily than with commercial dish soap, but your dishes do get clean and the castile is really good at dissolving "stuck on stuff". As long as you let the dirty ones soak, while you are rinsing and drying your other dishes.

Without further adieu here is the recipe for Homemade Dish Soap:

Water
Castile Soap
Lavender Essential Oil
Bergamot Essential Oil
Orange Essential Oil
Vinegar

What I did:

I filled a Quart jar almost full of water, then I added 1/4 cup vinegar....I did this because I have hard water and I add it to my dish water anyways. You could leave this out if you wanted but I love it. 2-3 Tablespoons of castile soap, I used the tea tree scent. I really like using the tea tree as it is a natural antibacterial disinfectant. Something you definitely want when you are washing dishes!!


The neat thing about making your own dish soap is you can add any of your favorite essential oils, I used what I had on hand, I would have liked to have added lemon but I don't have any right now. So I added 10-15 drops of lavender oil, 6 drops of bergamot (the benefits of bergamot include: helping with anxiety and depression, and some skin conditions, although a little goes a long ways, you will not want to use more than 6 drops! if you do not have bergamot you can leave it out.)15-20 drops of orange oil. And because I'm just weird like this I threw in about a tablespoon of lavender buds. Totally optional. :)


Put your lid on that baby and shake her up. Start filling your sink with hot water and add 2 Tablespoons of your homemade "soap". Something I noticed right off was the wonderful scent escaping my sink, it really awakened my senses and gave me a sense of well-being as I was washing. I was really satisfied with how it cleaned my dishes, and my hands were noticeably softer when I finished. They really were, I liked that!!! Making your own dish soap is certainly not for everyone but if you are wanting to get away from chemicals this may be something you would like.


Note: Because there are essential oils in this you will want to keep your jar in the cabinet in the dark. If you have a dispenser that is dark it should be fine. :) Also if you are washing really greasy stuff simply add more vinegar or lemon juice to your dish water. :)



Thank you to Marie for today's guest blog post. Marie is a homemaker and mother of 3. She enjoys baking, homeschooling, teaching junior church, and helping her husband behind the scenes for their natural house cleaning business. More natural living became a way of life for them when their middle daughter was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 3 months, (now a survivor at 6 years of age). You can read more about her at her blog Cottage Homestead.

Pin It!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I've been looking for a homemade dish soap for hand washing dishes. thanks!

Jaclyn Hicks said...

Oh I can't wait to try this one! I have made homemade laundry softener and a few other things, but I have been looking for a homemade dish soap! This is wonderful!

Civil War...and More! said...

Thank you! While we have been experimenting with making laundry soap, and we do use "homemade" glycerine handsoap, we had not yet tried dish soap. Our dishwasher, too, has "died" and we have had to revert to handwashing for the last several months now. Now, eleven people make a LOT of dirty dishes, especially since ten of us are home all day! I look forward to trying your recipe! (Now, if only I can find a different Castille soap than Dr. Bronner's...the label on that soap is STRANGE!) THANKS!

Me and Mine in a Small Town said...

Can't wait to try this one! Thanks!!!

Marie said...

@Civil War and More...I have heard that Trader Joe's has their own version of Castile soap!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I have used 2-3 Tablespoons "suds" powder soap, 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of dishwashing liquid soap. 1 quart water. Add whatever choice of scent oil you want. Mix all the ingredients and put them in dispenser bottles. Soak your sponge with the solution and hand wash the dishes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...