Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Developing your child's love for reading


One of the most important things we can give our children is a love for reading. How do we do this? We do this by giving our little ones (including babies) every opportunity to discover books.

In our house we keep a large basket filled with colorful, fun, soft cloth books and chunky board books. We keep this basket in our living room where the books can easily be accessed by our baby and toddler throughout the day.


Here are some ideas to help your child develop a love for reading:
  • Read to them everyday! Make this a special time with no TV or other distractions. Bedtime is a great time for this as it allows your child to settle down.
  • Visit your local library. Most libraries offer story times for infants and toddlers.
  • Switch out some of your child's old books with new ones to keep up the interest. Yard sales and thrift shops are great places to find children's books at incredible prices!
  • Make reading fun! Be expressive when you read and point out point out objects, talking about them with your child as you go.
  • Model a love for reading! When your children see you reading books on a regular basis, they will follow. After all our children model what we do, not what we say. If we want our children to love reading, we must love reading ourselves!

Studies show that early exposure to books can increase your child's reading development and give them a greater ability to learn. By discovering books your child is learning about the world around them. They will also learn the very important lesson of sitting still and listening. This will be vital down the road in the school years.

When my two oldest children were babies reading was very much a part of our everyday lives. I read to them daily. For a time I did not see my son and daughter wanting to read on their own. However, now that my children are able to read I find them with their nose in a book quite frequently and I can now see that all my hard work paid off!

What are some of your favorite children's books and what do you do to encourage reading in your home?


Pin It!

6 comments:

Chari said...

My favorite place to find cheap childrens books is in the Target $1 section and in the bargain area at bookstores like at Borders & Books A Million.

Sarah J. said...

Tate loves to read! My love of reading/ books even rubbed off on my husband. I grew up reading and going to the library all the time.
For Tate's 1st birthday, we requested books as gifts. My in-laws were the only ones that didn't honor our request simply because they don't understand. We read at nap time and bedtime, on road trips and we have recently had to discourage reading at the dinner table. :o/

juls said...

I love to read and the kids love for me to read to them. We are still working on them reading to themselves. Seems mom is just the better choice for now. We are currently reading the Narnia series and I can't read fast enough for my son. He loves Aslan and Peter and all of Narnia. Yay to books and imaginations.

HappilyDomestic said...

I am a big sucker for books as well. We also visit the library a lot and I love their story times! We haven't gone as much now that we homeschool, but this week we have hit 2 story times as my oldest is busy taking CSAP tests all week. It has been fun!

Annie said...

Great post! I love it when Golden books go on sale at Target, then I get a bunch real cheap. My daughter knows how Amazon.com works now LOL so I let her earn free books by mail that way too. She loves to read with me, that is our special time together.

Corban said...

It is just sooooo cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...