Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fluff Fest- Cloth Diaper Mama, Sarah


Meet Sarah, a cloth diaper mama from Kansas....


Name:
Sarah J

Children: Tate, will be 3 on August 18 and Mayer, 8 mos

Occupation: Office Manager

How long have you been cloth diapering? almost 3 years

How did you get started cloth diapering? My sister cloth diapered my niece for a few months after she was born and I liked the idea. When I got pregnant, three years later, I thought I would just cloth part-time. I really liked the concept of g diapers, so I figured we would use those as much as possible. I received some prefolds and a cover at my baby shower. I got some one-size fitteds, a few more prefolds, covers and some pins at the only cloth diaper store (at the time) in Central KS. When Tate was born, he started leaking out of the disposables, but the diaper was virtually dry. My mom noticed that everywhere the diaper touched him, his skin was bright red and puffy. We had some major leak issues with the g diaper system, but no skin irritation. When we used prefolds, pins and covers, there were no leaks and no irritation. He was less than 2 weeks old when we made the switch to become a cloth diaper exclusive family. He was about 5 months when I discovered there was a lot more to the cloth diapering world than prefolds.

What is your best cloth diaper advice? Do your research and don't be afraid. I thought I would love the g diapers and didn't do any research beyond them. I invested a lot in a system that didn't work for us. I thought I didn't like fitteds because the first ones I tried weren't absorbent enough for a heavy wetter. Now, I like different styles for different things. We made the switch without having time to be nervous, but I know it is an issue for a lot of people. Find a mentor and ask questions. Fluffy mamas love to talk cloth diapers! Just look at the success of Monday night #clothdiapers chats on twitter or the number of fans on cloth diaper retailers have on Facebook.

What is your favorite diaper brand and style? I am a seasoned veteran. I have tried A LOT and I know what works for us. In other words, yes I am a cloth diaper snob! :o) There was a time when I wouldn't even consider a diaper if the word "microfiber" was mentioned. Now, I'm not quite as bad because I will just swap the microfiber for cotton, bamboo or hemp inserts. I prefer snaps and favor pins over the snappi. Favorite pocket: Rumparooz with the 6r hemp inserts Favorite AI2: AppleCheeks Favorite fitted and wool: sustainablebabyish Favorite covers: Blueberry coveralls, Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Thirsties Duo Wraps and homemade fleece longies.


What is in your diaper stash?
The numbers are just estimates... trusty prefolds in various sizes and materials 6 fitteds 10 AI2 14 covers 12 pockets a lot of extra inserts and boosters various sizes of wool and fleece longies and fleece shorties various covers in need of repair (I am fine with a sewing machine until it comes to replacing elastic!) various diapers that are too small and I need to sell or trade I even have some diapers I started making, but I had so much trouble with the elastic on the first one, I am scared to finish the rest of them!

Tell us your funniest cloth diaper moment: My mom and my sister-in-law put a prefold covered with a fitted on Tate for his nighttime diaper. Super absorbent, but it would have made for a super soggy morning if I hadn't caught it!

Is your husband supportive of your choice to cloth diaper? Yes and no. He changes diapers, but he often comments that it would be a lot easier to use disposables at least some of the time. Our water is SUPER hard on PUL. It only lasts about a year before it basically disintegrates. He does a majority of the laundry. He panics if he has to come up with a nighttime diaper or stuff a pocket. He has been more supportive than I expected. I have even heard him refer to cloth diapers as "real diapers."

What type of comments do you receive from friends/family/strangers about your cloth diapering decision? I have the support of family and most of my friends. My mom has been watching Tate since he was 4 weeks old and has used everything I have thrown at her. She cloth diapered all 3 of us kids. My mother-in-law would not change a cloth diaper until Mayer was born. She would basically hand wash the dirty ones in the toilet for me, but didn't want to make a mistake putting the clean one on. She used disposables on all 3 of her kids. Most of the comments from friends and strangers are negative/ incredulous. I found it easier to say that Tate was allergic to disposables than explain my love for cloth diapers.

Tell us a bit about yourself! My husband, Michael and I have been married almost 10 years. We met in college at Fort Hays State University, but I am a HUGE KU Jayhawk fan! I have a BS in Speech-language pathology and a BA in History, but I don't use either degree. I am the 4th generation to work in my family's heating, air conditioning and custom sheet metal fabrication business. Before I was a mommy, I was also a competitive swim coach. I miss it, but it would take too much time away from my babies! I teach private lessons so I can get my chlorine fix and hope that one day my boys will love the sport as much as I do. I suppose the best word to describe me would be hippie. I kept my maiden name when I got married; I cloth diaper, wear my babies, compost, recycle, breastfeed, use mama cloth and have pretty liberal ideas. I love cooking, books, music, art and theater, but living in Kansas, I know I will have to teach my boys about the arts. I am proud to say that Mayer has never worn a disposable diaper, even during a 3 day hospital stay after my c-section. I also used mama cloth as soon as I was able to in the hospital.

Website/Blog: A smaller footprint- http://johnsonandcollins.blogspot.com



Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...