Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fluff Fest- Cloth for Mama? Say what?



Yes, you heard me! Cloth for Mama. No, I am NOT talking diapers here. I am talking about pads! Long ago, before the oh so convenient disposable maxi pad was invented there was a thing called "sanitary rags". This is where the term "on the rag" was invented. Now, just as cloth diapers have evolved over the years from diaper flats to pocket diapers, cloth menstrual pads have evolved as well! Cloth pads are now widely referred to as "mama cloth" and are becoming increasingly more popular.

Why mama cloth? This may be your question. The answer is simple and I will tell you why!

Pros for using Mama Cloth VS Disposable Pads:
  • Breathability! A pad that breaths means less moisture, less heat, less odor, less irritation!!! That alone is reason enough to switch in my book!
  • Reusable! No extra money spent each month on pads and better for the environment. It takes 500 years for 1 disposable diaper to decompose in the landfill, I can imagine a disposable maxi pad is around the same.
  • No Chemicals! Most disposable maxi pads have been bleached and contain chemicals (for absorbency purposes). Some even contain fragrance. Some women have reported less cramping and shorter cycles when switching to natural pads. Cloth is even better because there is zero threat to your body! If you are a tampon user, I highly suggest discontinuing use even if you do not go cloth. Read more about the dangers of tampon use here.
Switching to Mama Cloth does not have to cost you an arm and a leg either! I sewed 2 dozen of my own and only spent $15. You need only basic sewing knowledge to make these as well. I made my Mama Cloth by using a pattern I found on Take Time To Smell The Rose blog. You can find it here. Very simple!

Bottom layer is micro-fleece, top layer is cotton print, pad is a layer of ZORB topped with minky.

Pad folds over and snaps creating "wings" for extra protection.

After use pad can be rolled up, snapped and stored in a wet bag until wash day. I wash mine with my son's dirty diapers and they clean up just fine. Minky is pretty stain resistant and washes out nice and clean! I have actually been pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been to make the switch. I have a small wet bag that fits in my purse for when I am out and about. At home I use a medium wet bag to store the dirties. The only cons I have found with these pads is during the first day when my flow is heavier, I am having to change pads about every 2 hours. I would recommend making a few pads with 2 layers of ZORB for use on heavier days. I am going to do this as I do not like changing so frequently. Other than that, it has been great! I use to have problems with itching and odor and with Mama Cloth these problems are resolved. Such a blessing!

-Beth

Have you made the switch yet? Have questions? Leave your comments below.

(Stay tuned for a chance to win a Planet Wise wetbag! Great for Mama Cloth users!)


Pin It!

6 comments:

baby foot fluff said...

I made a huge stash out of leftover flannel, OBV and prefolds. I've been using them for 3 months and love them! I might make a few more with your pattern, it looks nice. I also have tons of leftover minky from making diapers!

sunnymum said...

I bought some from a WAHM. I like them, especially how soft they are. My only complaint is the liners, which don't have much weight to them, don't stay in place very well and seem to spin around. Frustrating!

Brooke said...

I love my Mama cloth! They are sooo much more comfortable than disposables!

Amanda said...

Now that I use the Diva Cup (which I HIGHLY recommend) I've been thinking of switching to mama cloth. I've been thinking for 5 months now!!! Two things are holding me back - 1) we're trying to get pregnant, so I don't want to buy them just to find out I can't use them. maybe that's what I need to do to finally get pregnant though - you know, jinx myself! 2) i don't know which ones to buy!! I look on Etsy and see SOO many cute ones, and I'm not sure what fabrics are best. I'm almost as overwhelmed as when I was looking into cloth diapers! But I'll make the plunge. I will! :)

HappilyDomestic said...

Amanda- I would just sew your own and save yourself a heap of money! Also, if making the pads is what it takes to get you pregnant...then go for it! lol
Although, it didn't work for me. :-(

Charis's Mum said...

I HATE to admit this, but I have not made the switch yet. I don't know why. I just haven't done it before. I keep meaning to try and make some of my own and seeing what works. I also want to try the Diva cup like Amanda said she uses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...