Friday, September 2, 2011

Back to School Freezer Cooking

Well, Septmeber is here and along with it comes the need to say good-bye to the care free days of summer and adjust back to the days of schedules and bedtimes, hurried meals and full calenders. So today I wanted to share with you a few of my freezer cooking ideas to help streamline your time in the kitchen on those busy days. So next time you find yourself with a spare hour or so, yeah right huh?, whip up a few of these recipes to save time later.

Beef Fajita Kit -




Slice enough meat (I used sirlion steak this time) to feed your family one meal. Toss it into a skillet with a little bit of oil and your favorite fajita seasoning. This could be a packet from the store or whatever spices are in your cabinet just whatever you are comfortable with.

Once the meat is cooked, let it cool to room temperature and then add it, along with a large onion and 2 bell peppers that are sliced into a gallon freezer bag. Place the bag into your freezer until you are ready to serve. One the day you wish to use the kit pull it straight from the freezer and pour into a skillet,. Heat this just until the meat is warm and the peppers tender. Serve with your favorite mexican rice, some tortillas, and salsa. It's a yummy meal ready in minutes.



Chicken -

The price of chicken just keeps rising!!! So, to cut corners and stretch my dollar farther I have stopped buying boneless, skinless chicken and switched to split chicken breasts. I can usually find these on sale for .99 cents a pound at my local stores. When I find a sale, I stock up so that I can do this....


I bake lots and lots of chicken breasts with very little seasoning. Then when it is done, I let it cool to the touch and chop all the meat off the bones. Then I put the meat into a gallon size freezer bag and store until I need it.


I use this chicken for almost everything!!! I will pour just what I need into a microwave safe bowl and heat until warm then I throw it over some salad greens for a quick lunch on those busy homeschool days.

Or I will toss it and some green peppers and onions into a skillet with taco seasoning for yummy chicken tacos.

Whatever I use it for having the chicken cooked and cubed saves precious minutes during my normal dinner prep time.

And for after dinner....


Next time you are making cookies (choclate chip seem to freeze the best for me) save out about a dozen or so cookie size balls of dough. Place the balls of dough on wax paper and place in the freezer for about an hour. Once the dough balls are firm you can place them in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. I add to my "bag" everytime I make cookies. So that on those days when I need a quick dessert or an after school snack I can pull a few balls out of the bag and thaw on the counter until soft. Then I bake according to the recipe for warm from the oven cookies at a moments notice!


And for those busy mornings.........


Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits*
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup shortening/butter/margarine
2/3 cup milk

Combine all ingredients just to wet. Pour onto floured counter and mix in more flour as needed. Once the dough is not sticky flatten with your hand or a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (and raisins if desired). Fold in half. Sprinkle again with only cinnamon sugar. Fold in half. Sprinkle again with only cinnamon sugar. Now, flatten out the dough to about 1/2 inch again and
cut with buscuit cutter or glass. Bake at 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.

*Omit the layering step and these buscuits can be made into regular buscuits. These are by far my families favorite buscuits.

Once the biscuits are baked and cooled you can put them into a freezer bag or a container and freezer. And the next morning you are in a hurry and need a quick warm breakfast grab out a biscuit or two, wrap in a paper towel and warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds (time will vary by appliance so watch it closely the first time). And enjoy yourself a nice warm breakfast on the way out the door or to the table whatever describes your day!

There you have it! Just a few ideas to help you be able to survive these busy days with a little less stress. I hope that you enjoy them and that they become some of your families favorites. For more freezer meal ideas, check out my website (just visit the freezer meals label in the right side bar).


Written by Happily Domestic contributor - Amanda Sikes
Pin It!

4 comments:

Chari said...

Great ideas! I also buy skin on, bone in chicken breasts but I cook mine in the crockpot so you can also freeze the broth for other recipes :-) Another time/money saver.

Melissa said...

I agree, great ideas! Like pp, I cook the bone/skin chicken by boiling it on top of the stove and save the broth and freeze.
I'm going to bookmark those biscuits!

Tanya said...

Those are great ideas! Buying chicken like that is so much cheaper. The small amount of work is worth it.

sweetsue said...

These are great recipes. I am going to invest in a freezer so I can stock up on sale items.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...