Thursday, September 29, 2011

Make your own soda pop at home! Soda Stream Review

My dad used to work in a Pepsi plant and told me a rather disturbing story. One of the pallets containing one of the soda ingredients tipped over. This particular chemical ingredient (I'm sorry, I cannot remember the name) is dangerous if not mixed with other ingredients. When it fell onto the concrete, it proceded to eat through the floor! I have not been a huge fan of soda products since then. I stumbled upon the SodaStream and was surprised to see that it looked to be an excelent substitute for soda. Basically, you fill a bottle with water and then you carbinate it yourself and add whatever flavorings you want. No preservatives, no cement melting chemicals! Soda Stream generously offered to send me one of the Genises starter kits as well as 9 of their different flavorings and 3 water flavors (to see all their different flavoring options, click here.).


It was pretty easy to put together. Just screw the carbonating tube into the lid, put the lid on the stand. 2 step assembly is my cup o' tea! Then you fill the bottle with cold water and screw it into the stand, press the button 3 times until it "beeps" and your water is carbonated and fizzy!


Next, you tilt your bottle and slowly poor in your flavoring of choice (this is the Cola flavoring). The first time as you can see, I did not tilt my bottle and I did not poor in slowly and my soda was flat. The tilting is important!


Poor into a glass and enjoy a nice refreshing drink of guilt free soda!

Other great things about the Soda Stream:

It is a green product! Not only does one carbonating tube save roughly 125 cans, but it also uses no electricity.

It is farely compact. If you don't have much space in your kitchen (like us), this can easily be stored in a cabinet.

The flavors are affordable. They run about $6 each and are really good sized. Depending on how much you use your SodaStream, they should last you a while. There is also a wide variety of flavors. Some of my favorites are Cola, Dr. Pete and Fountain Mist. They even have a natural line called Sparkling Naturals that is absolutely delicious and come in flavors like Black Currant Pear, Root Beer, Grapefruit and Natural Cola.  All natural soda flavoring that tastes exactly like the real thing makes me a happy girl!

I really enjoyed this. It was cool, refreshing and most importantly, had the fiz that makes soda so wonderful! The cola flavoring tasted exactly like a Pepsi, I can't wait to try out the rootbeer flavor with some ice cream for a "home made" root beer float! I love our SodaStream and will be replacing the carbonating filter as soon as this one runs out!

BUY IT- You can purchase your own SodaStream Starter Kits for $119.95 at their online store or to find a retailer near you click here.

Written By Happily Domestic Contributer: Brittney Thompson

Thank you to SodaStream who provided me with the product free of charge for the purpose of this review. All opinions are my own and no other compensation was received to conduct this review.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I JUST saw this at Kohl's last night and wondered what it was. How fun. do you know how long the carbonating filter lasts? You'll have to keep us updated on how long the flavors last or how often the filter needs replaced. Very fun.

HappilyDomestic said...

Amanda,

I have one of these and it the carbinator lasted a long time. You can also get them re-filled at places like Bed Bath and Beyond. :-)

~Beth

Sarah said...

I have one as well, and it's says the carbonator lasts approximately 60 liters, depending on how fizzy you like your soda. :) It's been great - I love mine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...