Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Deployment Homecoming Ceremony!

It finally arrived. The day my husband was going to be come back home, in my arms, touchable, real. I trully felt at times that he would be deployed forever. Suspended in time. Dramatic? Maybe... But I felt it anyway. I cannot express to you the joy that I felt on this day. We had to wait until 11 pm. Agonizing! Then it was delayed until 2:30 am. After daylight savings. Meaning, we had to get to 2 am twice. More agony. Than, 2:30am rolled around and they said "They are at Camp. It will be another 40 minutes." You could hear the groans. Little Man ended up falling asleep for a bit, despite all the noise. 40 minutes passes and... another 15 minutes. OH. MY. GOSH.


So sleepy!


Finally around 4 am they arrived. They announced the returning soldiers and all of us were cheering. Excited screams of "Theres my husband!!!", "Look, he's right there!", "Daddy! I see daddy!!!". Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes all over again.

They are HERE!!!

I began to panic after a minute when I hadn't seen mine yet. Where was he? What if he already came in and I missed him? What if he wasn't really with this group? It was completely irrational. I had just seen him on the moniter and I knew he was here. He was right behind the door. Finally my husband came out and suddenly I could breathe. It was like I had been holding my breath for a year and had finally come up for air. I couldn't tell if he could see me or not. I couldn't take my eyes off him. Tears started coming and I felt impatient for the rest of the soldiers to finish filing in.

Finally walking through the door! He was exhausted but has never looked better to me!

Thankfully, after all the wait and delays they decided to be short and sweet with the dismissal. I could see my husband looking for me and I excitedly waved as big as I could. He saw me, he was walking towards us. I was stuck on the bleachers and couldn't get to him. Another agonizing wait, what was probably 2 minutes felt like 10. To describe the moment he finally got to us is hard. He said "Hey baby" and kissed and hugged me. The realization that he was home sunk in. He wasn't leaving again, he was home to stay. After a moment he turned his attention to our son. He saw him at his birth, but left after only 2 days. It had been nearly 7 months since he had held Little Man. "Hey buddy", Little Man looked at him. I could see him trying to figure out who this guy was. We had been skyping often and I know he recognized his daddy's voice. After a minute, he lunged for him. Touching his face, playing with his uniform, all smiles... I could see the joy and relief on my husbands face. So much emotion happens in those first few minutes. It is amazing and overwhelming in all the best ways. Instead of trying to explain, I will just share a few pictures. I think they speak much better than I can.

Relief.

Father and son, finally together.


Love.
Thank you to Cyrstyal Handwerk Photography who took these pictures free of charge. It means so much to us that we have such beautiful pictures to remember this wonderful night. You have truly blessed me and my family.
Written By Happily Domestic Congtributer: Brittney Thompson
Pin It!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh wow - what a wonderful, beautiful story. I'm so happy to hear he's home.

Ginny said...

That totally brought me back to our last homecoming ceremony in February! Congrats on having him home! :)

Jaclyn Hicks said...

That's such a beautiful moment, thank you for sharing.

Jill said...

Glad to hear he's home and well. Your story brought tears to my eyes.

Lori said...

Bless God! He protected and brought him home...now, get out here and see me! My turn!

Tamara B. said...

I am so happy he is home safe in your arms! Being a military wife for 17 years I know all to well the heart ache.

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I am so happy he is home. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...