Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY - Family Rules Sign

I am so excited to have been given the opportunity to be a contributor on one of my favorite blogs, and have to first thank Beth for opening this door for me. I have so many ideas of what I want to share with you. One of my favorite things in life is crafting, and I hope to inspire you and your family to get creative!

January is a month for new beginnings, around my house full of 6 (soon to be 7) people I like to take this time to get organized and make sure we’re all on the same track. With three rowdy boys and a sassy little girl running around, it is important to set down some family rules. I had tried typing them up and posting a plain white sheet of paper on the fridge, but that was no fun. One day, after browsing some cute blogs full of ideas for creative “family rules” signs, I decided to give it a try. I was able to make it in just a few hours!

Supplies Needed:

Blank canvas, craft paint (any color), scrapbook paper, Modge Podge, foam brush, paint pen or scrapbook letters

I started with a blank 16x12 canvas that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I covered my always messy dining room table with some newspaper and got to work! I painted just the edges of the canvas with green craft paint all around on four sides. As you can see it doesn’t have to be perfect, the front of the canvas will be covered by paper.

Then for the fun part, picking out all the pretty papers! I collect scrapbook supplies. I used to say that I was a scrapbooker, but that really isn’t fair since I have yet to complete one book of memories and rarely pull the stuff out of my closet. I do, however, appreciate a pretty piece of 12x12 paper and have a nice box full of them for times like these. I chose 10 of my favorite designs and cut a 1 inch strip of each except for the top strip, which was 2 inches. I used a paper cutter and made my edges straight, but you could also use scalloped scissors and make your edges a bit fancier.

Once you have all of your paper cute it is time to get out your Modge Podge! If you do not have a jar of this, run out and get one now. It is useful for so many crafts and is so simple to use. I used a paper plate and poured out a small amount. Using a foam craft brush I first painted a layer of Modge Podge on the canvas then laid down the top strip of paper and lined it up to the top of the canvas. I then covered the strip with a thin layer of Modge Podge and continued this until all the strips were covering the canvas. Each strip will overlap a bit. The paper will wrinkle a bit with the moisture of the Modge Podge, so I just used my finger to smooth it out. Use a thin layer at first, let it dry for a bit and come back and do a second layer to seal it.

It was then time to come up with my “rules.” I got on my computer and used Microsoft Word to type them up in several different fonts. You can really customize this part to fit your family, and remember that rules don’t have to be negative or just a list of what we shouldn’t do. Have fun with it!

I used these as a guide and with a black paint pen I drew each rule on a different strip of paper. I am not a perfectionist, so they didn’t turn out exactly like the printed version, but that is what I love about a handmade piece. You could also do scrapbook letters or stickers if you aren’t confident about handwriting them.

When the boys came home from school and saw it they came up with about a dozen more rules we needed to add to it. I have to admit each day I think of something I would like to add to it myself. I might just have to make a few more of these to put around the house. I am envisioning bathroom rules, table rules, the list could go on and on!

I love this colorful piece of art that now hangs in my entry hall; it is a nice reminder of what we really value in our home.


Written by Happily Domestic Contributor - Jodi Faye


Pin It!

1 comment:

The Kuglers said...

LOVE.. you are so crafty and cute :) awesome idea. I might just have to do that after I'm done visiting YOU of course :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...