Friday, January 6, 2012

Homeschool Organization Tips

As we begin a new year one of the many "New Year's Resolutions" that many people set their mind on is getting organized. And we, as homeschooling mommas (or any momma for that matter) know how important this topic is and how much easier our life is when we apply our organization skills.



So here are my top 5 homeschool organization tips that I use to help this homeschooling momma of five keep her head above the school work waters!

1. Notebooks - I buy these things up by the arm loads in August after the public schools have started and my Walmart marks them down. Then for every subject that we will do a lot of copy work or writing in I label the front of a notebook with the child's name, grade, and the subject that it will be used for. And then I have no more loose pages floating around the house to keep up with.

2. Index cards - When we are in a busy season, which seems to be more often than not these days, I will take a few minutes in the morning to write out the lessons that I wish my two oldest girls to complete. As they do them they check them off and then they flip the card over and I write on the back any household chores that I need them to do that day as well. When both sides of the card are completed, they bring it to me and I can check all school and house work using the list I wrote that morning, and then send that child on their way!!!

3. My Crockpot - When I don't keep stressing over what to have for dinner my day runs smoother. I can't stand those days that every time I look at the clock all I can think about is "What am I going to make for dinner?" Then I head to the freezer, hunt around in there, get frustrated by the lack of ideas, and then move on to something else. By 4:00 I've done this 10 minute routine at least four times. I've wasted almost an hour of my day and still nothing for dinner is thawed! So, I try to use my crock pot as often as I can when we are schooling a full load.

4. Baskets and Boxes - Last year I invested in lots of shoe box sized totes with lids. I seperated all of the arts and crafts supplies into the different totes and now, when someone has a lesson in school that requires a certain supply we don't spend a half hour searching for it. Plus, even if we have to leave the totes out in the dining/school room they don't look as messy. They all stack neatly and are ready for the next day!

5. Three Ring Binder - I have a binder. It contains my life. If it gets lost, I might not be able to go on living. Not really but it is quite literally "my brain". It has my menu, my shopping list, my list of things to do for church, my homeschool hour log, my "to do" list for around the house, and my planner for dr appointments and such. I use the pockets in the front to hold documents to be filed and also for papers that I am currently working on (in my life that is insurance bills and such normally). If it is something that I need to remember or need to find in the near future it goes in my notebook. This has cut down on the hours and hours I used to spend hunting for a certain paper or loosing my hour log and trying to recreate it. This notebook has helped me to streamline my paper work and spend more time on schooling/homemaking/cooking and other such responsibilities.




So, there you have it. My top 5 picks for getting organized in your homeschool. Would you care to share any other "tips of the trade" that you have found to help you stay organized and stream line an area of your life? I would love to hear any idea that you have!!!

And be watching for other organization posts that will be upcoming soon!!

Written by Happily Domestic Contributor - Amanda Sikes

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...