Monday, April 23, 2012

Modest Mondays- Modesty During Pregnancy, Where to Shop!


Today is the 3rd week I am joining in for Modest Mondays (linking up at Modest Mom blog).  This week I thought it would be fun to share a few links to places you can buy modest maternity wear online.  My search actually ended up being a bit more difficult than I anticipated.  Come on people, where are all the cute modest maternity clothes???  The 80's are over and no one wants to wear jumpers with puffed sleeve blouses anymore!  For this reason, I am sparing you all and did not add links to sites that sell clothing I myself would not wear.

Before we begin, here is my modest maternity outfit for today....

Almost 36 weeks

Top came from Ross and is actually not maternity at all.  I bought this when pregnant with my last baby and wear it while pregnant and not.  It is nice and stretchy, cool, and very comfortable.  Skirt is a poly/spandex/rayon mix and comes from Old Navy (I actually got this from a friend).  This top and skirt are so nice in warm weather as both are airy and light weight.  One of my faves!

Okay, now for the fun part!  Let's go shopping.....

Rainbow Maternity Skirt by Modest Mom
The Modest Mom offers modest apparel in both maternity and non-maternity.  Mostly skirts, but you will also find a nice selection of modest shells, blouses, and nursing covers.


Black and White Floral Maternity Skirt from New Creation
New Creation has a great selection of long maternity skirts.  They even sell a long maternity slip!


Maternity Henley Dress from Shade
Shade has a good selection of maternity dresses, most are modest looking.  Although modesty is not the main focus of this store, you can find several nice modest maternity items here.


Shabby Apple's Neapolitan Maternity Dress 
Specializing in Vintage dresses, Shabby Apple has a line of maternity dresses that are pretty darn cute.  Most are modest, but not all.


Black Elbow Sleeve Maternity Shirt Dress
Has a whole section dedicated to modest maternity, although most of their modest maternity is  black in color.  Not sure why that is, but would be a good place to get some basic pieces for your wardrobe.


Full length tiered maternity skirt from Destination Maternity 
Nice selection of modest maternity skirts.  Love the one pictured above.  Wouldn't this be nice for summer?

Where is your favorite place to shop for modest maternity clothing?  Do you know of any good places online other than what I showed here?  Please share!

Pin It!

18 comments:

Allyssa said...

My maternity store (and the only one we have except for one rack at wal mart) is Thyme Maternity. I don't shop online because I'll love something on the models and hate it on me. Most of the clothes there are modest and the ones that aren't don't look flattering on my body type anyways even if I WANTED to wear them (which I don't). The only body part I want to show off in pregnancy is my belly and that is done in semi fitted shirts.

Why are you always in skirts? Are they just comfy-er? Do you live in a warm part of the country? It makes me wonder (I can't remember if you blogged about it before) if you'd consider my pants/capris modest even though I do. That's not a dig at anything; I'm just curious.

The Momma said...

I ordered 3 skirts this weekend from www.katiemellas.com They were $25 a piece and I am super excited about them!

HappilyDomestic said...

Alyssa- lol, no I am not in a skirt everyday. However, I have already outgrown all my maternity pants. I have one left that fits and it is to long in the pant legs. Anyway, I did go over what I felt was modest and what was not in my first Modest Mondays post 3 weeks ago. You can read it here: http://happilydomestic.blogspot.com/2012/04/modest-mondays-modesty-during-pregnancy.html

HappilyDomestic said...

The Momma- Oooh, those look nice! Not to bad of a price either. Thanks for sharing. :-)

annika said...

Alyssa, For me personally, I wear pants on a pretty daily basis...when I'm not pregnant. The way my belly is shaped( it sticks out but the front is flat) and that I don't have prominent hips(i'm paintbrush shaped) while being pregnant isn't condusive to wearing maternity pants. The belly bands on most pants slip right off my belly. The ones that rest under.your belly are even worse. I tried jeggings(because you can wear a belt with them) and they squashed my belly on weird places. So I stick with maternity skirts and dresses.

Tamera Westhoff said...

I get most of my maternity clothes from Old Navy. They fit me well when I'm not pregnant and I LOVE the way they fit when I am pregnant! I have dresses, shirts, pants and capris from them!

Chari said...

Don't forget the 80s overalls too :-p

Thanks for the links! Even though we live in a decent size town I still find maternity selection slim pickings, both modest AND affordable. We don't have an Old Navy with a maternity section. I have only ordered from them once before and got jeans and a maternity swimsuit. The jeans were way too tight and didn't even fit right (it was even early in my first pregnancy!) and the maternity swimsuit was awful. I don't think I will buy from them again. I have picked up a few things from our local Motherhood and also at Kohls. I'm with Allyssa though, it is very difficult for me to order clothing online. It looks different on me than the models (because they are always stick thin).

I have a feeling I will be living in skirts this summer and all this fall. I only had 2 pairs of jeans that fit me during my last pregnancy and those were getting too tight in the end. I seriously doubt they even fit now. The only thing I'm concerned about is finding long skirts and making them look stylish and not frumpy. Its' so much easier to make skirts look cute in the warmer months but as it gets cooler?

Allyssa said...

I did find the post this morning AFTER I posted of course lol :) I appreciate the clarification though, thanks.

I'm headed to get $200 worth of maternity clothes for $100 this weekend or next. I'm super excited and maybe I'll do my own pregnant modest mondays post at that point.

HappilyDomestic said...

Since I gained 10 pounds after I weaned baby J, my maternity pants were all pretty snug this time right from the beginning. Now they are just plain uncomfortable. :-( I have some of the Old navy ones but do not like the low panel on them. They dig directly into my c-section scar and cause a LOT of pain. Skirts are so much more comfortable at the moment and cooler. It was almost 90 degrees here yesterday! Yuck!

Nicole said...

Beautiful outfit! This is a great collection to have- it's hard enough finding regular cute, modest outfits and I'm sure it's even more difficult while pregnant.

Blessings,
Nicole at Working Kansas Homemaker

Brooke said...

Toward the end dresses and skirts are comfiest! Pants or shorts have to put pressure somewhere to stay up and that is not so good on stretched out skin! Cute ideas!

Michelle @ Changed By The Maker said...

A well-thought out post, but I think I don't have to be personally concerned with modest maternity wear any longer {sigh}. Nice pictures and links. I always appreciate that extra effort! Thanks for linking up at Make LIfe Meaningful Monday!

jengi33 said...

Thank you soooooo much for the links!! I have been struggling to find an affordable and modest long denim skirt. I just ordered one from a website you listed and am so excited!!

Sarah Avila said...

Thank you so much for this! I recently found out I''m pregnant and I got rid of a lot of my maternity clothes from last time. I'm definitely going to check these sites out!

What Joy Is Mine said...

Great post. If the Lord chooses to bless us once more, I will definitely have some wonderful ideas for more modest clothing. Thank you for sharing this at What Joy Is Mine's Monday's Musings.

HappilyDomestic said...

Your welcome everyone! Glad to these links could be a blessing to you.

Kasey @ TFOMplus2 said...

I'm not currently pregnant, but I'm bookmarking this page since I don't know what the future holds! :) And you look fabulous!!!!

Leah said...

"Come on people, where are all the cute modest maternity clothes??? The 80's are over and no one wants to wear jumpers with puffed sleeve blouses anymore!"

Ummm...I'm not even pregnant (yet...) and I wear jumpers with puffed sleeve blouses on a near daily basis...lol. I am trying to conceive but us stuck-in-the-80s ladies do exist. :) Elizabeth Lee is a favourite of mine, as is Candle on the Hill if you tend to be more old fashioned :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...