Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Maternity Pants Tutorial

First things first, I am not a seamstress. Sewing is something I occasionally do for fun and  have recently been trying to learn more about so that I can be more resourceful. I decided to try and make my own maternity pants. I was pretty nervous, I had no pattern and I had never done this before. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the whole project was! It only took about 40 minutes, though I'm sure it would be much quicker the next time. Any of you who are more skilled could knock this out in 20 minutes easy!

I had an old pair of maternity pants that were no longer wearable so instead of donating them, I decided to upcycle the panel. You can use either a Bella Band for the panel or you can cut the panel off of an old pair of maternity jeans and use that instead (which is what I did). Here goes!

Supplies:

Scissors
Pins
Jeans
Bella Band or Recycled Maternity Panel
Sewing Maching
Thread

First you are going to cut out the front of your pants to make room for the panel. I looked at a pair of maternity pants I already owned to see where it needed cut. First cut from one side down to the center, then fold over the cut piece and use it as a pattern to make it even.


Next you are going to pin your panel right sides together around your jeans. I start by pinning the center, then the back and then the sides. Then finish pinning the rest. This ensures that you end up with evenly pinned stretchy material.


Now, you are going to sew it together. Make sure you're using your jeans needle!


Flip them inside out and try them on.


Voila! You have made your own maternity pants!




Written By Happily Domestic Contributor: Brittney Thompson
Shared at: Simple Lives Thursday
Pin It!

3 comments:

CJR said...

I've been waiting to make my own pants. Mine just keep falling off. Thanks for a great tutorial. As soon as my sewing machine gets fixed I'll try these out!
CJR @ The Mami Blog

Lori said...

Do cute....the pants too.
mom

Samantha Benson said...

I have to try this when I get bigger with my baby.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...