Monday, May 7, 2012

Pregnancy Update- 38 weeks and counting....

I am officially full term! Each day brings wonders of when this baby boy will make his appearance. It could happen any day after all. My husband keeps asking me, "Are we going to have a baby today?"  My children keep trying to guess the day. They are as anxious as I am. Even Little E made the remark, "Mama, your baby is not ever gonna come out!"  Well, we do know this...there is only 2 weeks until my due date and it will be soon enough! He HAS to come out on way or another.

Here is a little update on how I am doing:

About 2 weeks ago I had to surrender my driving privileges as I am now to big to be behind the wheel! My belly is now 46 inches around. At first the steering wheel just rubbed my belly, but now my belly fully overlaps it! (see photo)  Being short, I already have to eat the dash in order to drive and now I was having to stretch my foot to reach the pedal.  Totally not safe!  My husband is now my taxi driver and gets me where I need to go.  I think next time we will need to invest in a pedal extender! 

38 weeks
My overall pregnancy has gone well.  I have gained 16 pounds so far and have been healthy.  I have for sure reached the uncomfortable part though... back aches, lots of braxton hicks, shortness of breath, lot's of ligament pulling, tiredness, etc. etc.  You get the picture!   I am now seeing my OB every week.  She hasn't begun to check me so I am unsure if any progress has been made.  I will find out this Friday (If I make it that long).  Recently they gave me the Group B Strep test in which I tested positive. Not to happy about that.  I didn't even know what Group B was as I was never tested with my previous pregnancies (which were all c-sections).  It's not a huge deal, but I will have to given 2 doses of anti-biotics during labor via IV.  I have been trying to treat this naturally, but my OB informed me that regardless if they tested me again and it was negative, she would still want me to get the anti-biotics.  Aggravating, but I don't feel like I should resist her on this and make her mad as she is the only OB in town who is willing to let me go for a VBAC delivery after 4 c-sections!  Gotta choose your battles, ya know?  I think she is getting nervous about my upcoming delivery, she has made a couple very discouraging comments.  I am trying to not let them get to me though.  I know I can do this!

As you can image I have been busy getting things ready.  Basically, I can think of nothing else really.  I walk around in a daze all day feeling very scatter brained.  I feel as though I have no focus, but am trying to make a little progress each day.  I did manage to fully pack the baby's bag for the hospital.  I'm bringing him sleepers, hats, cloth diapers, Burt's Bees baby wash & lotion (so he doesn't have to be washed with the toxic stuff at the hospital), and packed a couple outfits to bring him home in.  All my babies except Baby J have gone home in preemie clothes.  I wasn't sure what this baby will be like so I packed newborn and preemie clothing. 

I have also packed the mass majority of things I will be needing for labor, delivery, and my hospital stay in general.  Pictured here is my suitcase, birthing stool , CD player, baby's bag, car seat, nursing pillow and a pillow for me ( I hate the plastic feeling of the hospital ones).  The only things left to pack are the last minute things like my lap top, camera, blow dryer, curling iron, and stuff like that.  I am also bringing my own toilet paper and healthy foods for snacking.  To keep myself organized in what to pack, what to do in labor, who to call, etc.  I have created a Birth Book.  Contains my brain basically.  I will share my Birth Book with you in another post.  It has been very helpful to have and I am excited to share what is in there.

Other than getting all packed up, my husband and I have been trying our best to stay on top of the house.  NOT easy when you have 4 very active (and messy) children.  We ended up putting a bunch of their toys and things in boxes and storing them in the shed.  They will get them back later.  For now it has deemed to be a big help. 

My days have been spent cleaning, packing, going over lists, trying to rest (because I am just to tired not to), trying hard to wrap up homeschool, and waiting! I am trying hard to be patient knowing my baby will born at the perfect time, but I find myself questioning every ache and pain.  I have never done this before!  Waiting for labor to start is a new thing for this c-section mama.  I now can relate to all those women out there desperate to get things moving along.  There is a huge difference when you have a set date and know there is an end in site and when your waiting.  Makes for lots of weariness that is for sure.

My goals for this week... get some breakfast & lunch freezer meals made up (so I don't have to be fed cereal and PB&J's everyday when my hubby is caring for me and the kids), make scripture cards for labor, pack some cute pictures of my kids in my Birth Book for focal points, get my bassinet back from the friend who borrowed it, and spend some one on one time with each of my kids.  Oh, and tomorrow is date night for the hubby and I.  A friend of mine (same gal that is crocheting the blanket for the baby) gave me a Olive Garden gift certificate at my baby shower and offered to babysit so we can go out.  How nice, right?  Thought I better quickly take her up on this offer before it's to late.  My husband and I haven't been on a date since November, so this will be a much needed treat.

Please remember to keep me in your prayers about this delivery.  For safety for me and the baby and for a successful VBA4C.  The success of this birth will determine how I will be having my babies from now on.  I really don't want to be on the c-section path again.  It is no fun!

~Beth

*Since my baby is not here yet, tomorrow my contributor Jodi Faye will be telling her birth story!  Her son (also baby #5) was born on April 1st!  I love reading others birth stories.  Can't wait to tell mine next!
Pin It!

10 comments:

Jenniffer R. Grafton said...

If you have a chance, can you share some of the scripture you'll be putting on your cards? Thanks! praying for the best for you and yours!

Jodi Faye said...

Yay! You are so close, I'll keep praying for you ;) you might want to throw a bath towel into your bag also. The ones at the hospital are tiny, thin, and scratchy.

Chari said...

So excited for you, you are so close!!! And believe me, you'll know when the real labor has begun ;-)

Katie said...

Praying for you and baby! I had to have a c-section with my first, and I'm now expecting my second and praying for a VBAC! I'd love to see your scripture cards one day when you have time! God Bless!

MrsScorziello said...

For encouragement, a friend of mine delivered vbac after 2 csections at 40 last year! You can do it! God is faithful to answer those requests!!

MrsScorziello said...

Doc gently encouraged her body into labor by using a ballon catheter to dilate... In the random event your body needs encouragement, talk to your doc about maybe using that method. ;)

Sarah J. said...

I'm so excited for you and your family!! They made me take a strep b test with Mayer even though they knew he would be a c-section. I'm not really sure why. Good luck and I'm so glad to see you taking cloth diapers to the hospital!! It really is easier than people think. I love the smell of the BB baby wash. :)

Leanne said...

How exciting that you are SO close!! I'll definitely pray for you!

Hannah said...

I'll be praying for you, Beth! My Mother (Her name is Beth too! :-) had her first three children via C-Section and was told she could never have a VBAC.(The Doctors said it would kill her) Well, not only did she have a VBAC but she had 8 of them and everything went very well without any intervention. Praise God!!! So, don't worry, you'll do fine and baby will be here before you know it! :-)

Beth R said...

I know easier said then done, but try to just accept that your body will labor and deliver on its own. I was so nervous the entire time I was pregnant. Also a VBAC after 2 c section (never been in labor prior). My Ob said she would only let me go to 41 weeks. Well we set the date for the c section and I just accepted that what would happen was meant to happen. And the next day my water broke and I delivered a beautiful baby boy with an umedicated VBAC. You can do it!! Just keep yourself surrounded with positive energy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...