Thursday, June 21, 2012

All Who Are Weary...

Beth did a post on scriptures for labor a little while ago that was really helpful and inspiring. It really helped to bring me back to where I need to be spiritually in this pregnancy. I am going to lay my heart out here and be honest about how I have been feeling. There are a lot of discomforts that come with later pregnancy. I am experiencing a lot more pain and exhaustion this time around then I did with my first son. It is partly because of how close together they are and partly because this one is sitting much lower. I am almost constantly in pain and feel like my pubic bone is splitting in half most of the time. I have much to do in the next 2 months, unpacking and setting up our home being one of them. Mostly, I think my struggles have been exaserbated by my attitude. I have been on a little pitty party in my heart. My inner dialogue almost constantly has been "Why does it have to hurt? Why are we moving right now? Doesn't God know I have so much to do, I don't have time to be this tired/hurt".

To whom he said, This is the rest with which you may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 
Isaiah 28:12

I have been so focused on getting it over with these last few weeks that I have started to focus even more on the discomforts I am feeling. I have been ignoring the rest that God offers me willingly. I have prayed multiple times in the last week or so asking God for strength to get through this pregnancy with a joyful and thankful heart. I have received great comfort from these scriptures:

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 
Matthew 11:28

 I will give those who are weary all they need. I will refresh everyone who is filled with sorrow.
Jeremiah 31:25

 Give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God in Yeshua The Messiah among you.
1 Thessalonians 5:18

From now on, my brethren, rejoice; be perfected and be comforted, and harmony and peace shall be in you, and The God of love and of peace shall be with you.
 2 Corinthians 13:11


Over and over and over God tells us that he is our rest. He will refill our empty cup. No matter what is going on, no matter how tired/scared/hurt we are, he will be our rest and refreshment. We only have to accept it. We only have to choose to see the beauty that he has put around us. We only have to resist the urge to wallow in our own self pitty.

No temptation has come upon you except that of the children of men, but God is faithful, who shall not allow you to be tempted more than whatever you are able, but shall make an exit for your temptation, so that you can endure.
1 Corinthians 10:13

For me, the temptation has been to let my discomfort and exhaustion get the best of me. It has been to allow myself to wallow. It has been to choose an ungrateful heart rather than a grateful one. Instead of seeing how blessed I was to have an understanding husband trying to pick up my slack and make me as comfortable as possible, I chose to continue to complain about how much I am still hurting. It took him finally saying "I know you want it to be over but its not. I can't make it come faster." and seeing the look of frustration on his face before I really heard myself. God has showed me so much! With God's help, I will percavere through the exhaustion and pain. It will probably still be here, but it doesn't have to be my focus. My focus is on the many blessings I have been given. I want to continue to be a blessing to my husband and son rather than a whining burden.

From now on, my brethren, rejoice; be perfected and be comforted, and harmony and peace shall be in you, and The God of love and of peace shall be with you.
2 Cornithians 13:11

Do you struggle with a thankful heart when going through trials? Has pregnancy ever had this effect on you? What scriptures helped you?


Written By Happily Domestic Contributor: Brittney Thompson




Pin It!

3 comments:

MrsScorziello said...

I would say this pregnancy for me has been one of the most reflecting. We've lost several babies in the past (3 healthy babies, 5 angel babies) and my struggle each time is IF I trust God to not take my baby. That's the wrong way of looking at it, I get that now. No matter how tightly I hold on, it doesn't change if we will lose the baby or not. I'm constantly being reminded to praise with gratefulness, praise God that today, I am still pregnant and baby is healthy. He reminds us in scripture to let tomorrow's worries take care of themselves. Today I will rejoice and embrace this day with this child I carry. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will continue to praise God regardless of His decision. It's certainly been humbling to realize I have NO control over any of this, but the creator of life is solely responsible. Here at 21 weeks, I finally feel peace about surrendering to Him, after all, the word He has given over and over this year to me is "No matter the circumstances)

MrsScorziello said...

It's an opportunity for His glory to be revealed." I could always use more of His glory in my life, I'll take it. :)

Eileen said...

I had one particularly stressful pregnancy about 19 years ago and was so stressed and disconnected I could literally not even think straight. I could not read and comprehend. My mind was mush and the tears were many. What I learned through that time was that when you can't even find the words, you need to swallow that pride and not think of asking for help as complaining. God not only has the written word to draw on and learn from, He sends his angels in the form of people who can pray for you, step in when times are too overwhelming, and take the load off of your shoulders...even if for just for a few moments. You will have your chance to return the favor someday when you see someone ELSE in the same situation and step in to help. Learning is not always about helping you on YOUR journey but reaching out to help others. I have a great compassion to young moms out there who struggle with those overwhelming days and nights, the feeling of being alone, the feeling of trying to be perfect moms in a world that socially demands it...and those moms who forget about themselves in that world. Please take care of yourselves out there moms. Don't be afraid to ask for prayers and physical help. Too many times moms can be sent over the edge and are afraid to ask. Just ask.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...