|IV marks left from an ER trip|
I set out on a mission to get us back on the right track. I have asked friends, read articles, and talked with my pediatrician about natural ways to help boost my family's immune system to help derail this train of illnesses. And I wanted to share my findings with you all today.
- Garlic - Cooking with fresh garlic, not canned minced garlic or garlic salt, but the kind fresh off the bulb. I try to use it in at least one dish a day.
- Probiotics - My children and my husband and I both for that matter do not like the new probiotic yogurts that are on the market but I have found a whole slew of probiotic options!! They come in every shape and form from drops for infants and toddlers to chewables and pills for older children and adults. The chewables and drops that we have tried have been super easy for the kids to take. Chewables were yummy and drops were tasteless.
- Throw out the sanitizer - While I do keep some in my car we don't use these products anymore. They tend to kill the good bacteria along with the bad germs. So then if you forget to use it or come into contact with germs, you don't have the good bacteria to help fight them off. So it is good old soap and water around here for the most part.
- Get Outside - A lack of vitamin D can wreak havic on your immune system. And when your children have been sick they tend to be indoors more and get less sunshine. So, even if your children are sick get them outside for some fresh air and sunshine.
- Lemon Juice - Using lemon juice in the ear for an ear infection can take away the infection. I just use two to four drops in the hurting ear every couple of hours and within the first 24 hours there is improvement and within 48 the infection is usually gone. I have an otoscope and I have seen the infection improve and go away with this treatment on my children.
|Hospital bracelet |
I am actively using all of these options and I must admit that we are quickly approaching our longest stretch of health in the past 7 months. I can't tell you which one or any of these things are working but they obviously are not hurting either.
I hope that you are encouraged to seek out different ways to treat your family's illnesses other than just running to the doctor each and every time that they are sick.
Written by Happily Domestic contributor - Amanda Sikes
I am not a doctor and every one's needs are different. If you have any concerns about you or your children's health please call their doctor.