Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sesame Street Birthday Party


When asked what kind of birthday party my almost 2 year old daughter wanted she replied, “Elmo!” I started researching the theme and found so many cute ideas. I couldn’t stop at just Elmo though, and decided to add the whole Sesame Street gang to the celebration. 


I added a board to my Pinterest account and added so many fun ideas, many of which I did end up using. I love theme parties! You can do so many things with them from food to games to favors. Oh how I love party favors!

It started with the invitations which I designed using the Paint program on my computer. I found you can make your own Sesame Street sign by making an oval (yellow outline with green fill of course) and putting a rectangle with rounded colors over the top. You can then add your desired text. I used the Sesame Street sign for the food label cards and a "Lucy Street" sign that I put on the front door to let folks know the party was out back. I love the way they turned out! At the bottom of the invitation it says "this party was brought to you by the letter L and the number 2!"






I found really cool free printables that I used at Sherry K Design
she has several other fun themes too! 

Free SVG and Pintable Elmo Birthday Kit


I also bought a fun package from Photodesignz that is on sale for 50% off! She was so great to work with and even resent me the file when I lost it on my computer.
50% off - DIY Printable Elmo  Birthday Party Package

When it came time to decide on cake I couldn’t resist the Cookie Monster cupcake idea that I found. I  made it using a can of vanilla frosting (yes, store bought) and shredded coconut, both that I dyed blue. The eyes were made from white candy melt circles from Michael's and the cookies were mini Chips Ahoy. I made the dots on the eyes with some melted chocolate chips in a baggie that I cut the corner off to pipe them on the candy melts. They weren’t as perfect as some others I have seen online, but the two year old crowd didn’t seem to mind.



We had a cookie tower complete with Cookie Monster himself and a sign that said "C is for Cookie!"

I found the little snack bowls with lids in just the right colors at the Dollar Tree and filled them with Elmo’s goldfish. I also made cups with baby carrots and ranch at the bottom for dipping for a healthy snack with an "eat your veggies" sign.


 
My daughter is obsessed with pretzels so we had to have a bowl; we named them Prairie Dawn’s pretzels. Apparently she doesn’t make many appearances on the show anymore because the kids weren’t sure what that meant. Man I feel old!

The drink boxes I found at Walmart were perfect with Big Bird and Elmo on the package. I also printed out wrappers for the water bottles to make them more festive.
I found the Sesame Street Toy at Once Upon a Child for a great deal and thought it would make a great centerpiece and gift, two for one! 

  
The silverware was also from the Dollar Tree and I put three different colors together and wrapped it in a napkin sealed with a sesame street sticker. 
 
I found really great favors at the dollar spot at Target. I decided it would be fun if the kids could “shop” for their gifts so I set them up at Hooper’s Store complete with shopping bags to fill. There were pencils and notepads, pinwheels, cups, board books, and stickers. 




For our activities I set up a play-doh table that was a big hit with the birthday girl.


I also had a coloring station with books from the Dollar Tree, Oscar’s Trash Toss, and Big Bird’s bubbles. I had every intention of making cute wrappers for the bubbles to fit with the theme, but with a three week old baby in my arms most of the day it just never happened. 



Birthday Girl with her bubbles
I found the fabric pennants for the fence on the clearance rack at Target for just over $1 each, the colors went perfect and they can be used for future party themes too. 
It was towards the end of April, so please excuse the (not quite green yet) lawn.

 
I wrapped the folding tables with gift wrap from the Dollar Tree, they had three different Sesame Street prints. They added color and incorporated the theme, and so simple to toss when we were done.


She wore her Sesame Street shirt from Target and her hair bow is from Myrtle Garden Bowtique.

 





My mom brought the giant Elmo balloon that was perfect to pose with for pictures.
 

I found Elmo and Cookie Monster shirts for my husband and I at Walmart. This made the birthday girl very happy. I couldn't convince her brothers to wear them, oh well. Baby was napping and missed this photo opp, but here are six of us!






I had so much fun with this party. It was just over three weeks after my son was born so I was wiped by the end of it all, but the smile on this sweet girl's face made it all worth it. I can’t wait to start planning the next one!
 

**More free Sesame Street printables HERE

Written by Happily Domestic Contributor - Jodi Faye  

Pin It!

3 comments:

mail4rosey said...

This is great, I love all the work you put into, it really pays off!

tamela said...

How very cute, You did such a nice job...

Terra H. said...

Looks like a fun party for young kids. I really like those Cookie Monster cupcakes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...