Sunday, September 2, 2012

Our Homeschool Year- The Sikes Family

This will be our sixth official year of homeschooling, but I still say that all parents “home” school in way one or another from the moment their child is born. Our homeschool journey is one of change over the last two years. I am happy to finally be able to say that I “think”, at least for the time being, we have found our way to homeschool and everyone is enjoying it. For years I tried and tried to bring the classroom to our home but that just wasn’t working. As more and more children were added to our family the classroom setting caused more and more stress on both the children and I. So this year we are starting out a little different.

We live in Missouri and in our state we are required to log hours from July 1st to June 30th. So this year as July rolled around we picked up a little school work here and there. It was mostly review items, handwriting assignments, and lots of reading. But now, with September here we are gearing up to start our full load. And I wanted to share with you what I had planned for this year in our home.



Math – All of my children will be working through Abeka math books at their grade level. I am trying a cd-rom curriculum for my first grader as well this year. It is something new so we will see how it goes. I just love Abeka math and I can’t bring myself to totally get rid of it.



English/Reading/Writing – This is one of the most changed areas of our homeschool. For years I used Abeka phonics and language books. You should also know at this point that I was homeschooled from 5th grade through high school and Abeka is what my mother used for me. So, I started with it because I was comfortable with it. And changing from it was VERY hard for me. But I grew less and less happy with the busy work and the frustration that it was bringing into my home. So now we no longer use books to teach language arts. This year my children are working through some Bible memory copy work, lots of dictation and journal writing. We talk a lot about the parts of speech that they write, the use of comas, apostrophes, and punctuation marks. My plan is when the children reach about 7-8th grade they will go through a very thorough language program that will teach them everything that need to know. I am also greatly enjoying my membership to SpellCity.com and I will have reveiw and giveaway of that program on my blog soon.



Science/History/Social Studies - Last year I discovered lapbooking and this year again we will be working through different unit studies that the children and I choose. I am still learning and exploring this new world of study and type of learning but we are loving it!



Extra - The older girls are taking piano lessons again this year and they will all be doing Spanish via Skype with my sister in Arkansas. And then lots of bike riding, crafting, painting, and singing for art, music, and P.E.



I am really looking forward to this year. I enjoy watching my children learn and love learning. I am also a mom that likes structure and routine so school always brings a welcome routine to the home.


Written by Happily Domestic contributor - Amanda Sikes

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...