Monday, November 12, 2012

The Sausage Maker's D-5 Food Dehydrator Review!

 The Sausage Maker, Inc.

Something we are working in my family is living as sustainably as possible. This means not wasting food and learning how to preserve it. I was so excited when The Sausage Maker offered to send me one of their D-5 Food Dehydrators with 1/4 " Stainless Steel Shelves to try out. The Sausage Maker has a huge selection of high quality food products including sausage makers, meat grinders, apple presses, dehydrators, jerky kits, smokers, tail gating supplies, food scales, fermenting pots, pasta makers and seasonings... The list is truly endless and the prices come in wide ranges so there is something for every budget. The Sausage Maker has provided excellent customer service for me so I feel comfortable sending my money their way.

Features you'll love in the D-5 Food Dehydrator:
The D-5 Food Dehydrator features a rear-mounted fan and louvered door to maximize air circulation and moisture removal. A temperature control and timer take the guess work out of drying food in the D-5 Food Dehydrator. This food dehydrator is especially easy to clean.

• Color coded temperature control
• Temperature Range: 90° - 155° F
• 12 Hour Timer
• 800W/110V Heating Element
• 304 Series, 22 ga Stainless Steel construction - Food Grade, Won't rust!
• Outside Dimensions: 18 3/4" D x 16 1/2" W x 11 1/2" H
• Inside Dimensions: 16 3/4" D x 16 3/4" W x 8 1/4" H







This is quality at it's best and an appliance I am so glad to have in my kitchen. I really appreciate the temperature control directions for the different things you can dehydrate. I have read lots of different temps and times and found it quite helpful. I ended up dehydrating a batch of pears that I bought on sale at Natural Grocers. It was very simple to cut up and set at the temp and length of time recommended. The timer is really an awesome feature! I was able to start before bed and know that it would shut off when it was finished, no extra wasted electricity or over dried fruit!


I was a little concerned that 5 racks wouldn't be enough for large batches. I was pleasantly surprised to see that although there are only 5 racks, the racks are quite roomy. There was plenty of space for me to use up my 10 or so pears and still have rack space to spare. One of the things that I have experienced in the past is difficult clean up. Often you have to wipe your racks down with olive oil and hope that whatever you're dehydrating isn't going to stick. I used nothing to coat the racks and had no issues with sticking. All I had to do was rinse off the racks when I was finished! It really made the whole process quick and easy. I'm sure I'm not the only mom who can appreciate that!


Another problem I have encountered with food dehydrators in the past is uneven temperature circulation. It is not uncommon to get half way in and find that the other half of the batch is not quite done yet. This was not a problem at all. In fact, I did both slices and bite sized pieces (same width) to see what would happen. Everything dried evenly! I didn't have bone dry pieces nor did I have sticky pieces. I had soft dried fruit and it is really yummy! Perfect for dipping in chocolate (holiday gift anyone?), eating plain or tossing into some granola.

Before

After

You might be wondering what to do with dehydrated foods... let me tell you what I do with mine. Zucchini, summer squash and carrots can be re-hydrated for bread or soups. Garlic and onion can be ground for garlic and onion powder. Herbs of course used for seasoning! Fruits for snacks, fruit leather or a healthy chocolate covered treat. The possibilities are endless! Our dehydrator will become a big part of our plan to make our food stretch. I am very impressed with The Sausage Maker's D-5 Dehydrator!

Check out the Sausage maker's website, they have a fantastic selection of both practical and fun products. This is my first stop for any upcoming meat processing or other food preservation products!


BUY IT - You can purchase your own D-5 Stainless Steel Food Dehydrators as well as many other great food preparation products from their website, click here. Don't forget to sign up for their awesome free catalog delivered right to your door, click here!

 Thank you to The Sausage Maker who provided me with the dehydrator free of charge for the purpose of this review. All opinions are my own and no other compensation was received .

Written By Happily Domestic Contributor: Brittney Thompson 

Pin It!

4 comments:

BethElderton said...

Wow! A dehydrator has been on my wishlist for a good while.

Amy Watkins said...

Nice dehydrator. I have never heard of this brand, but it looks really nice.

Lori said...

I love that it distributes the heat evenly. I am going to get one of these. I like that it is square too. My round one seems to waste a lot of space.

Josie Hill said...

Hi I am just curious how you feel about your dehydrator now since it's been awhile.
What are your likes and dislikes?
Any issues with it?
I'd appreciate any additional info you can share with me about it.
I plan to buy one as soon as I decide which one.
It's a toss up between the TSM and the Raw Rutes .
Thank you look forward to hearing back from you.
Jm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...