Friday, January 11, 2013

Just Like Wendy's Chili Recipe

The other day as the church chili supper neared someone approached me and asked about my chili "style". Beans or no? Hot or mild? Chunky or smooth? Oh, the many kinds of chili that one can make. And then someone threw out a comment that got me thinking. They mentioned Wendy's chili, as in the fast food chain. I have never eaten it but this is the umpteenth person that had mentioned how good it was. So, I went on a hunt to find a recipe that matched this goodness. And this is what I found



Just Like Wendy's Chili


2 lb. hamburger
48 oz. can tomato juice
29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained

After you brown and drain your meat, add all of the ingredients to a very large pot or a crockpot. Allow the chili to cook for at least an hour and a half.


I followed the recipe just as it was written this time and the results were extremely tasty!! It had lots of layers of flavor and a great texture and consistency. It wasn't too hot for my children but had enough spice to satisfy the adults. And it makes a TON! Be prepared to share with friends or freeze some for later.


Now, the Wendy's chili "expert" said that he thought it wasn't exactly like their's, but even he agreed that this was great chili. I am in no position to offer my opinion because I've never eaten chili there. But I agree, this is a great chili recipe.

Do you like Wendy's chili? Have you ever tried it? If you make this would you tell how close you think it is the "real" thing?

Written by Happily Domestic contributor - Amanda Sikes

Pin It!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I absolutely LOVE Wendy's Chili! I ask for the additional chili fire packets to squirt in it, too. Sooo good. I will definitely try this recipe you posted...it's totally different from my chili recipe so maybe it'll be a big hit! I'll put it on next week's menu! Thank you!

Lori B said...

We love Wendy's chili too! And with the cold cold Michigan winters, I'm always looking for soups & stews for hearty meals. Will get this onto our menu plan real soon. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Only difference is... Wendy's uses the meat that didn't sell from the day b4 to make their chili...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...