Thursday, February 21, 2013

How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Bone Broth

One of the first things I learned on my journey to a healthier life for my family is how important homemade bone broth is. It helps with your gut health, immune system and digestion. It gives your body good healthy fats so that it can better absorb the enzymes and nutrients from your food. It is all around healing to the body and something we should all be eating a lot of. Aside from all that it is economical! Why buy boring chicken broth when you can make delicious broth yourself. Its great for freezing and keeping on hand for soups or whatever else you might need it for. It couldn't be easier and I always feel so accomplished when I've started broth cooking!

Chicken Bone Broth
1 carcass
1 head garlic
1 onion
1 bay leaf
1-2 tbs Thyme or Rosemary
1-2 carrots (optional)
1-2 celery stalks (optional)


Usually I roast a chicken for dinner or for salads and use the carcass and gizzards for stock. I also try to keep a freezer bag of my vegetable scraps to toss in. That includes celery tops, carrot pieces and onion ends. This helps my food go even further and makes me feel like nothing is wasted. If you don't have any scraps (which I didn't this time) than just do a rough chop and toss it all in the crock pot.



Next put in your chicken bones and cover it to the top with water. Put it on the longest setting and let it cook for the next 24 hrs. If you only have a 10 hr max time you will need to reset it once or twice to make sure it doesn't stop cooking. You don't necessarily need to wait 24 hrs, 8-10 is fine but I like the added flavor the extra time gives.



When it is finished it will look something like this. You will want to start straining it into whatever container you will be keeping it in.

Once its cooled you can freeze it in baggies or muffin tins for later use. I usually get about 1 gallon of broth per batch. Homemade broths make the BEST soups and that is normally what I make as soon as it is ready.

Written By Happily Domestic Contributor: Brittney Thompson

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...