Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kids in the Kitchen

Over the past several weeks I have found myself functioning at less than par around the house. Between normal pregnancy "stuff" and a virus, then a kidney infection I have called on my oldest daughter to help me a lot more than usual. Today she would like to share some of her new found skills as to encourage other kids in the kitchen.

Hi, my name is Maggie and I am almost 11 years old. I am the oldest in my family and I am just learning how to cook. I hope that other kids will like my recipes and try them with their parents help at home.

The first recipe I want to show you is for my favorite egg sandwiches. I make them for myself and some of my siblings many mornings. Here are the steps that I use to make them.

  1. Crack an egg into a small bowl so that you can make sure you don't get any shells mixed in.

2. Slowly pour the egg into a pan that is preheated to medium-high temperature. Crack the yolk with a spatula.


3. Cook until the edges are firm and then turn once. Sprinkle on salt to taste. When the egg is firm through, it is done.


4. Now you are ready to make your sandwich. Some of us eat only bread and the egg. Others like cheese. My favorite way is to have cheese and a little bit of mayonnaise on mine. I hope that you enjoy these yummy breakfast sandwiches.

Another thing that I love to make are biscuits. They are great for almost any meal and my Dad loves them so I like to make them for him. The other day I made them for him for breakfast.

Biscuits
2 cups flour                          2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt                            1/2 cup butter
4 tsp baking powder              2/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

First mix together the dry ingredients and butter into a course powder. Then add the milk all at once and stir until thoroughly mixed.



Turn out onto a counter that is sprinkled with flour and flatten to desired thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven.



This time I served them to my dad with some of my mom's homemade country gravy. He loved them and told me they were the prettiest and tastiest biscuits he had eaten in a long time! I was so proud and happy that he liked them.


This next recipe I have learned I actually found during a research assignment for school. I found a video online showing me how make this chocolate bowl, then I wrote down the steps in a report for my mom and then I wanted to try it for myself. It turned out great and I wanted to share it too.

First you get some of that melting chocolate in any color you want. You need to melt it in the microwave like the package says. While it is melting blow up a balloon to a small or medium size. I used a water balloon because that is all I had. It worked just fine.



Once the chocolate is melted and the balloon is ready you need to dip the bottom of the balloon into the chocolate. Then put it into the fridge to cool for 5-7 minutes. Then dip it again to make the chocolate thicker. Next, put it back in the fridge for another 5-7 minutes.



After it is good and cool you are ready to pop the balloon. Gently pop the balloon and pull it out of the chocolate bowl.




Now, your bowl is ready to use! You can fill it with ice cream, pudding, or even a cookie. These are so much fun to make.


I hope that you like these recipes. I love learning how to cook and the more I do it the more I like it. I love seeing my family smile at the things that I make. I hope you will bake something today!


Written by Maggie Sikes (Happily Domestic Contributor Amanda Sikes's daughter)

Pin It!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Amanda, You did a wonderful job!! I found myself smiling while reading through your post. I can't wait to see more from you in the future.

Evannpeytonsmom said...

Maggie...you did a great job!!! Your instructions are very clear and you explained yourself beautifully. Keep it up girlie!!

Alana's mom said...

Great job, Maggie! I would like to have Lex and Vic read this and try some of your recipes. Thank you for sharing your writing and cooking talents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...