Monday, March 4, 2013

Modestly Adorned - The Gift Of Modesty


Todays Modestly Adorned Guest post is actually being written by my mother. She has been my greatest encourager in my modesty journey and an excellent example of what that means. I know you will enjoy her words as much as I have! ~Happily Domestic Contributor Brittney Thompson
 
For the past few years, I have been carefully searching the issue of modesty.  It's been hair raising at times!  When I look back on my own young life it makes me cringe.  I was a pastors kid but had little understanding of modesty. I suffered a great deal from my choices. As a young mom in love with my sweet baby girl, I knew from the moment I looked into her tiny perfect face that I wanted more for her.  I didn't want her to suffer the sins and mistakes that her mother suffered.  So began several years of searching and discovering who I am.   What does it means to be set apart?  What responsibility do I have in that?  Whew!   Romans 12:1-2 says, "I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." I wish I had discovered what I know now, while my oldest was young. ..but then, there's the rub!

My two youngest girls Hannah and  Sophia
My first thought of modesty was about our apparel.  As my girls got older and developed a womanly figure, I saw the way they were looked at and sometimes disrespected.  Oh wow!  I was surprised at how I just wanted to roll them up in a trench coat!  But of course, that won't work!  They are very beautiful girls both inside and out.  I want them to be lovely and have a sense of modest style.   We have gone through many "phases".  We had to examine how certain clothing affected our hearts.  What our motives were in what we were wearing.  There were trials and tribulations and tears...mostly mine.  I found that making changes wasn't always easy.  However, raising three beautiful girls, my desire to display modesty myself and see it reflected in them has been the ultimate goal.  I have seen my young girls confidently develop a beautiful style of graciousness and modesty.   They have fun dressing their mom too!
Just in from working in the garden!



 It has been a blessing to witness their discovery  that they have great worth.  We have chosen a way of dress that reflects our desire to show devotion to God and to being His representatives.  There is many ways to do this.  Our way of dressing, long and mid-calf length skirts with modestly fitting shirts, is just one way. Being immodest to me comes from a lack of understanding your value.  Whether you are a male or a female.  Have you ever passed judgment when you saw a barely dressed young lady displaying her body at the mall? It's hard not to, but the truth is,somebody may not have taught her how valuable she is. She is searching for her value by the low standards that have been set before her by society.  Have mercy, as there by the grace of God go I!  How blessed we are to have an understanding of our worth as women!


My most recent adventure in learning about modesty has had little to do with clothing.  The Father recently brought to my attention that I have lacked in a different area of modesty. What was going in...and what was coming out as a result. I saw that I had a low standard of what my beautiful girls were seeing and hearing. I was allowing myself and them to slowly become desensitized to "minor" language and crude humor.  To witness behaviors that I would not approve of them displaying. It's hard to see sometimes! We so often play the game of wanting modest children. We like the idea of it but we allow all these things to pass through our children.  Violence, being self centered, crudeness, rebellion and materialism are the messages media, of all types, are sending to our children.  Even in so called "G" and "PG" movies or "children's" books.  None of these traits reflect modesty. I once heard a speaker say that a "good" movie with even a small amount of language and crude humor is like presenting the Mona Lisa with a small ink stain across her face.  It effects! It ruins! We should protect ourselves as parents, let us teach by example! We are careful of not putting garbage into ours and our children's bellies.  Let us also teach them modesty of the mind and heart by creating the very same mind and heart in ourselves (Proverbs 4:23).


Modesty is a multi-faceted gift that has to be be opened and reopened.  It takes a lifetime of self reflection and accountability.   Don't forget the endless prayer. But, oh what a gift! I pray that as you seek the Fathers heart, you will find great joy opening His gift of modesty to you!

Written By: Lori Morgan


Pin It!

6 comments:

Frances Kendrick said...

Very good post. I do agree that there are other areas of modesty. It is inside and out.

Have a wonderful evening!

Frances

Brittney Thompson said...

Frances,

Thank you for commenting! It never stops amazing me how many areas of life modesty touches. It is truly a lifelong task.

Lori said...

Thank you. We can know that He is faithful to teach us everything we need to know and that as we respond in obedience, we will be changed! May our lives be His!

Melanie E. said...

Beautiful, Mrs. Morgan!

Lori said...

Thank you Melanie! We've been so blessed by you and your family. Thank you for loving Him and being a light to the nations!

ForgiveandLove09 said...

I am glad to see this article. I hope it encourages many.

Let us remember that there are many we cant speak to about modesty but we can be an example : ) Let us seek the Father to teach how to adorn ourselves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...