Thursday, March 7, 2013

Modestly Adorned - Modestly Breastfeeding

Today for Modestly Adorned we have a guest post from Heather of Raising Mighty Arrows! Her blog brings such encouragement to me in my day to day life. I couldn't be more excited to have her sharing with us today! Breastfeeding in front of others can bring about some modesty challenges. Today Heather is talking about one of the ways you can accomplish modest breastfeeding. ~Happily Domestic Contributor Brittney Thompson

There are several things that I've struggled with when it comes to breastfeeding my children. With each child it seems as if there's a different struggle. However, one obstacle I've encountered with each of my children is how to breastfeed my babies without having to get undressed!


I remember being in the waiting room at the doctor's office with my first child soon after she was born.  There was another mom sitting close by holding her little babe in her arms.  She appeared to be nursing the babe, but yet she looked so calm and comfortable....something I definitely was not at the time.  She was doing it so discreetly that I wasn't completely convinced that she was nursing.

So I asked.

And she said yes.

I asked her how she did it without showing everything she had.  She began to give me some advice and told me how it takes practice (this was not her first child).

After practicing on the first two children, I still never really achieved the whole 'breastfeeding in public', or even 'breastfeeding without feeling I had to take my clothes off' thing.

Until now.  After having had baby #3 six weeks ago {I can hardly even believe it's been six weeks already} I decided to try a nursing cover....something I didn't have with the older two children.


I tried one of the free ones a company was giving out if I'd pay the shipping cost.  I thought I was getting a great deal, until I attempted to use the cover and it wouldn't stay on me.  That was most definitely defeating my purpose of staying covered.  The way it tied around the neck just wasn't working for me.  The strap wouldn't stay together.  The material was also very thin and cheap-like....something I was uncomfortable with.
Notice the Velcro on my new cover that keeps the strap around the neck secure

Since I really wanted to learn how to do this thing right, I decided to try one of Deborah & Co.'s nursing coversCha ching!  I finally found something that really does work.


Deborah & Co.'s nursing covers are fastened around the neck with sturdy Velcro.  There's no way these babies are coming loose, even with a wiggly newborn.  They're also made out of 100% cotton fabric that's not too thin, but not too thick to make you and baby hot while nursing, and the open-neck design allows me to keep an eye on baby during breastfeeding.


I highly recommend purchasing anything from Deborah & Co. {formerly known as The Modest Mom} for everything modest; including Women's, Maternity, Girls, Skirts, Camis & Undercover Nursing Tanks, Nursing Covers, and Blouses. 

Modesty is a beautiful thing. Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing.  But seeing a woman's breasts while she nurses her babe is not a beautiful thing.  It's something that should be covered and kept private.  The world has perverted breastfeeding and what God intended the breasts to be used for.  Knowing that, we should do our best to bring honor and glory to God through breastfeeding.  We shouldn't make it something that others would want to gawk at, or talk ill of. 

There are times a woman has to feed her babies in public, but it should always be done modestly and discreetly.  Your breasts should never be flaunted or showcased.

I'm glad I've finally found a way to make it work.  {It also works great while at home to keep curious children from having to see everything.}
post signature



What do you do to keep breastfeeding modest? What are some challenges you have faced?

Heathevintage.jpg Heather is a child of the King and in need of His abundant grace every day. She's never found Him to give up on her, although she admits He should have a long time ago!  Married to her best friend Jeremy for 6 years, together they have been blessed with three beautiful children.  Heather is an Independent Consultant for Blessings Unlimited (find her on Facebook here) and blogs full time at Raising Mighty Arrows about raising children, home preschooling, homemaking, marriage, and ministry.  She would be thrilled to have you connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest

Shared at: ModestMondays, Above Rubies, Blessed With Grace, Better Mom Monday, Tending The Home Tuesday, Growing Home, Courtship Connection
Pin It!

5 comments:

Tina said...

I used a nursing cover with my 3rd baby until he was about 6 months old, then he decided that he didn't like his head covered. Well when you have a hungry baby you feed him, and I always made sure to do it as modestly as possible. I didn't use a nursing cover sometimes, or even a blanket and maybe there was a time or two that I became exposed while latching on or off. I did that best I could to be modest and even stayed home most days early on while my baby was an infant because I couldn't nurse him without exposing everything. We should flaunt it, yet at the same time we should not be ashamed as Mothers who are nursing our babes. It IS a beautiful thing and we cannot be held responsible for society's opinions. We should nurse our babies freely and often no matter where we are and try to do it as modest as our baby and the weather allows. However if a little skin is exposed on accident with a wiggly baby one should not feel like she has sinned. The Lord understands, after all He created us and how we are to nurture our baby. Now I am nursing my 11 mo old daughter (our 4th baby) and have to say I have gotten pretty good at popping her on the breast without anything showing:) It does get easier! I would suggest Moms practice nursing with a cover or blanket at home before trying it while out. Congrats on your sweet babe!

Raising Mighty Arrows said...

Tina I agree with everything you had to say! You're definitely right about the practicing at home too! ;) It does take a little getting used to if you've been used to showing it all at home while nursing.

Dahlia said...

I totally agree with Tina!

kimberly in idaho said...

I love my Modest Mom nursing cover by Deborah & Co.! I always struggled with breastfeeing my third child because I would have to use a blanket. He would get sweaty, I couldn't see him well, and he also got old enough to rip it off. I was sooo happy when I purchased my nursing cover with my fourth baby. You are right, it truly works! You said all the reasons why I like it so much. I am due in 6 weeks and plan on using my nursing cover this time, too!

Jills Home Remedies said...

Love your thoughts, Heather! I agree completely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...