Saturday, March 9, 2013

Modestly Adorned - Young Thoughts On Modesty

Todays Modestly Adorned guest post is written by 3 special young women. These young women are inspiring to me as they continue to grow in their walk with God. They strive to have modest hearts and encourage everyone around them. Hannah and Sophia are my younger sisters and I have known Emma since she was 4. They are growing into beautiful women of God! ~ Happily Domestic Contributor Brittney Thompson

My name is Hannah and I am 14 years old.  When my family made the decision to make a drastic change in the way we dress.  I knew is was the right thing to do.  However, after two teenage girls laughed at the way I dressed, I lost confidence in myself.  It felt like every person I passed was judging me because of the way I dressed.  I stopped wearing bright colors and did what I could to keep from drawing attention to myself (mostly by wearing dark plain outfits).  It was exhausting.
It was when we went to a Family Camp, that God changed my heart.  Being around other girls with great hearts for God and modesty, I realized that this was God's set apart plan for my life, regardless of what other people thought.  I was paying more attention to man's thoughts of me, then what the Father thought of me.  Now, I am fixing my thoughts on Him (2 Corinthians 10:5).  I am confident in His plan for my life, without a doubt in my heart and mind!  (Jeremiah 29:11)


~

My name is Emma and I am 12 years old. A lot of girls today spend hours in front of the mirror everyday. "Does my hair look ok?...Do these clothes go together, or do they clash?" Putting your hair in a French braid and dressing in pretty clothes isn't a bad thing. It is a bad thing when you become obsessed with fashion; when you begin to spend more time curling your hair than you spend with your family. We live in a very worldly culture that tries to lead people away from God, and that is not a good thing. Sometimes we get so caught up in our outward appearance that we forget that our inner beauty is also important. God made me a very strong-willed person, which is a good thing, but oftentimes I have to remember to behave modestly as well, meaning I need to be a gentle and quiet young woman - quick to love and slow to become angry. Sometimes I find myself bossing my younger siblings around, slamming things around, and being disrespectful to my parents. This is not modest behavior, and I need to remind myself that God cares about the beauty of the heart. As a young woman of God we need to be dressing how God would want us to dress both inwardly and outwardly, because when we clothe ourselves in modesty, our inner beauty will shine for everyone to see.

~


My name is Sophia and I am 12 years old. My family and I, have made a lot of changes in the last few years regarding modesty. I used to wear regular clothes, not giving it much thought. As I got older, I noticed that certain clothing affected my thoughts and my attitude. My appearance began to take over. I was often looking in the mirror, looking to see how my pants fit. My heart was immodest. Then God revealed something incredible to my family and I. We began to pray about dressing modestly, and soon after, we made the decision to dress with modest clothing. We often get strange looks from people, and that was a struggle, but, with Gods help, we learned to accept the fact that we were different. But, I still struggled with something. My heart was STILL immodest. I wanted to be modest on the inside, not just the outside. So I did some Bible research, and found Philippians 4:8. It reads, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." After I read this verse, something inside me changed. I began praying harder, and God continues to make incredible progress. I hope you have learned from my testimony. God bless you!

What areas of modesty are you working on? What have you overcome?
Pin It!

8 comments:

Frances Kendrick said...

So sweet to see what God is doing in these young ladies lives.

Have a great weekend!

Frances

Amy Joy said...

Thank you for sharing the testimonies of these 3 young women. It is so encouraging to see them working towards modesty on the inside and the outside

Melanie E. said...

Precious! Thanks for sharing, my friends!

Gretchen said...

Thank you for sharing, Ladies! This was warming to my heart! :) What Lovely Young Gals they are!

Terra H. said...

Thanks to the three young ladies for sharing their viewpoints on modesty. It's great that they are putting God first and seeing that it's what He wants that matters most.

Cathy K. said...

You are all so special, and thank you for sharing, You need to be examples to other girls your age,as the
world would have you immodest. As you grow older you will command a respect from others especially young
men who will see your respect for yourself. Your on the right path. Stay strong.

Brittney Thompson said...

Thank you to everyone for showing support to these amazing girls! They have been quite blessed at your kind words!

Anonymous said...

Awsome page guys!Er,I mean Gals!I am 9 years old and Iwant all my Friends to see this! S.J.R.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...