Sunday, April 28, 2013

Homemade Beef Jerky Tutorial

We love beef jerky. Beefy, chewy goodness that I could eat every day. In fact, I'm eating a piece right this minute! Yum. Sadly, what you buy in the store is fairly pricey and if you aren't buying organic (even more expensive) you are sure to be getting all sorts of gunky chemicals and preservatives. Not so appetizing! We happened to have some steaks in the fridge so I decided to attempt making my own beef jerky. I made 2 different flavors and was quite pleased with the turn out! I can't wait to create new flavors and use different cuts of meat. Making beef jerky couldn't be any easier and is the perfect addition to your snack shelf.

First I needed to decide how to flavor the meat. After reading several different arguments discussing dry rub vs wet marinade, I decided to do one batch of each. I settled on a a modified version of my favorite dry rub and our favorite hamburger seasoning.

Here is what you'll need:

2 pkgs Thin Eye Of Round Steaks

Wet Marinade 
(adapted from this recipe)
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tbs liquid smoke
2 tbs olive oil
just enough water to make it "wet"

Dry Rub
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Begin by cutting up your meat into 1 1/2 inch wide strips. Mix up your wet marinade ingredients in a bowl. Drop in half of your meat and coat your meat with the marinade. Put the rest of your meat in another bowl and sprinkle on the steak seasoning. I didn't measure, I just made sure it was well coated. Set both bowls in the fridge over night or at least for a couple of hours.

Next you are going to get your dehydrator out. Lay your meat on the trays as close together as you need to. On my dehydrator there is a time and temperature scale to let me know how long your meat should "cook" for. According to mine, I needed to cook it for 4-6 hours at 155 degrees.


I cooked mine for about 5 hours when I pulled it out. It was "well done" but still tender enough to chew. We have been snacking on it the last several days. I keep mine in a plastic freezer baggie in the cabinet. It's been great when I need a healthy, protein packed snack but don't have time to make anything. I hope you have found this helpful!



Written By Happily Domestic Contributor: Brittney Thompson


Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...