Monday, September 15, 2014

My Father's World Kindergarten- Days of Creation, Weeks 1 & 2

Over the past year I have been debating which kindergarten curriculum to use.  In the end I decided on My Father's World "God's Creation from A to Z".  There were several reasons I chose this curriculum. For one I loved all the themes. Covering 26 units, one for every letter of the alphabet MFW kindergarten covers everything from the sun and moon to vegetables and animals.  I knew this would be a lot of fun for my boys and keep their interest peaked all year.  I also knew I would have fun adding my own extras with each theme. The second reason I chose this curriculum is because it is Charlotte Mason based. The more I learn about this method of teaching the more I like it and believe in it's principles.  Lastly, I appreciated the fact that this curriculum is so user friendly. In the teacher's manual each day is well planned out for you. I do feel it is a bit on the "easy" side, but I do not mind using it for my 6 year old kindergartner because I know I can add extras to challenge him more. It is working out great this year as I am also teaching my 4 (almost 5) year old son with his brother and considering it his Pre-K year.

With MFW Kindergarten the first 10 days are all about Creation.  For the first day of school I had put together a Creation sensory bin.  My wonderful husband whipped up this adorable sensory table in no time flat.  I really love how it all turned out.

Day 1


I found the idea for a Creation sensory bin on Pinterest.  I purchased most everything for the bin at either Dollar Tree or Walmart.  To color the rice I placed in gallon sized zip log bag, added a bit of water, some food coloring and squished and tossed around until coated.  Then the poured the rice onto a cookie sheet and let air dry.  By the way, you can buy huge bags of rice at walmart for only about $2.50.


Here is the table my husband built using scrap wood we had lying around the backyard.


 The boys LOVED it!  Such a hit.



 Some of them loved it a little to much!


Oreo Snack- "And on the first day God separated the light from the darkness."

Day 2


On day 2 of creation week we learned how God separated the waters from the sky.  Here are the boys working on page 2 of their Creation books.


At snack time they had water and clouds (popcorn).

Day 3


Day 3 we learned how God made the dry land appear and created plants of every kind.


During snack time I put on a cartoon about Creation.  You can find it on You Tube here.


For snack we had grapes to represent plants and graham crackers to represent dry land.  The boys also drank water in their apple cups.  To fun!


Watching God create man in the Creation video.

Day 4


Day 4 we learned how God created the sun, moon and stars.  For snack we had "suns".



Day 5


Then God said, "Let the water be filled with living things, and let birds fly in the air above the earth."
Genesis 1: 20 


Again, I found this cute snack idea on Pinterest.  What would we all do without Pinterest?!?  It turned out so cute and was easy to make.  The kids loved it!  I added the Goldfish crackers last minute but thought it gave it more pizzazz. I only wish I had put some blue food coloring in the dip now that I look back.

Day 6


Then God said, "Let the earth be filled with animals, each producing more of it's own kind.  Let there be tame animals and and small crawling animals and wild animals, and let each produce more of its kind. " Genesis 1:24


Snack on Day 6 was Teddy Grahams.  Looks like they produced more of their own kind too! 

Day 7


On day 7 of Creation God rested so we made blank pages for the boy's creation books.  We also cut out a blank number seven to add to the boys days of Creation timeline poster.  


Despite the looks on their faces (silly boys) they were very excited to have completed their Creation books.  They worked so hard on them each day during Creation week.


Reading through their Creation books.


At the end of the Creation unit I had the boys say their Bible verse.  Here is Little E saying Genesis 1:1 from memory.  He was so proud of himself and got to pick a prize.  I am having the boys memorize a verse that goes along with each unit.  Prizes are little toys from the dollar store and then after 4 verses are memorized they will get a special lunch out with mom.  Probably a kids meal at Chick fil'A, Pizza Hut or something like that.  I am still working out the details.

  

It was a fun first 2 weeks of school.  We covered a lot more than what you see here, but I wanted to share some of the fun things we did.  For more ideas for Creation week please visit my Creation board on Pinterest.


Creation Week Extras

Verse: Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Music: 
"This is My Father's World"
"In the Beginning" (Genesis 1:1 Song)
"The B-I-B-L-E"
"The Alphabet Song"
"B-I-N-G-O"
and 
"Old McDonald Had a Farm"

(I made cds with music to go along with every song mentioned in the MFW Creation from A to Z curriculum.  I also added any song I found that went along with each unit and bible memory verse. I owned about half the songs already but also purchased mp3 music at Amazon.  It has been so very nice to have the music to go along with the curriculum.  I highly recommend taking the time to do this. If I can find the time I will write up a separate post listing all the music I put on these cds.)

To see how we schedule our day, go here.
To see a full list of the curriculum we are using for kindergarten, go here.
To see all post on this blog related to My Father's World, go here.


I would love to hear from anyone using My Father's World kindergarten with their child.  Please leave comments with any questions, tips or links to your own MFW blog posts.  


*The opinions expressed in this blog post are my own.  I am not being paid for this post nor am I affiliated with the My Father's World company. Simply sharing so you might be helped in your own homeschool journey.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Angela said...

We LOVE MFW! We started using their curriculum 7 years ago when our first son started kindergarten. We have now used their kindergarten curriculum 4 times so far! The current ages of our children are 11, 10, 7, 6, 4, 2 and one due here soon. We have used MFW from the beginning of our homeschooling adventures and have no desire to change. All of their other curriculum is superb as well. We can't say enough about them!!!! btw...I cherish their "seven days" on the green paper. We display it through out the year :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute crafts and projects! Love it all! Especially Ezra's scripture memory! Precious!

HappilyDomestic said...

Thank you, ladies! I am having so much fun teaching kindergarten this year. Angela- Thank you for sharing about your family and your love for MFW curriculum. I love hearing from others using MFW. Thanks for visiting my blog, stop by again soon! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...